Click to Home
Go To Search
Open Government
San Jose Home
Contact Us
Open Government

200 E. Santa Clara St.
San Jose, CA 95113
(408) 535-8100
Public Records
About the Right to Access Records
The public’s right to access information concerning the conduct of the people’s business is a fundamental and necessary right. A record shall not be withheld from disclosure unless it is clearly exempt under applicable laws, or unless the public interest served by not making the record public clearly outweighs the public interest served by disclosure of the record.

This page is intended to assist members of the public in obtaining access to City of San José public records under the California Public Records Act and City policy:

How to Request Public Records
Requests for public records can be submitted directly to the department from which a requestor is seeking information by contacting the appropriate Public Records Act Coordinator. Requests can also be submitted to the Open Government Manager or to the Office of the City Clerk.

Public Records can be requested in writing, via the mail, email, or fax. Requests may also be made verbally on the phone or in person. However, to avoid confusion and to make certain that you obtain the records you want, it is best to put your request in writing. Although not required, the Public Records Request form is available online to assist requestors.

Try to be as clear as possible when requesting records and put date limits on your request. Offer any search clues you can and if you are informed that the records you are requesting do not exist, discuss alternatives with the City staff to whom you are making the request.

Fees & Charges for Duplicating
The City does not charge for the time and costs incurred in searching for, locating, or collecting records. However, the City may charge for the actual costs of duplicating paper records. The current fee is $.23 per page and postage. The City may also charge for duplicating a record from one medium to another.

Requestors of electronic records generally must pay for the cost of programming and computer services necessary to produce records that are not routinely produced.However, the City does not charge for access to data that is readily accessible without significant cost to the City.

If you believe that you have been inappropriately denied access to City of San José public records, you may appeal that denial by contacting either the Open Government Manager by email or phone at (408) 535-8120 of the City Council Rules and Open Government Committee by emailing the Office of the City Clerk or calling (408) 535-1260

You may also file a lawsuit with the Santa Clara County Superior Court.

Learn more about the public records appeal process.