Click to Home
Go To Search
Outdoor Fun Header Image
San Jose Home
Questions & Concerns

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Who do I contact regarding maintenance of the trails?
Call the Park Concern Hotline at 793-5510 or via email

Who do I contact about an on-street issue? (Includes bike lanes, potholes, sidewalks, etc.)
Report concerns to Department of Transportation via their on-line Maintenance Form

Who do I contact when I see debris in a creek or river next to the trail?
Contact the Santa Clara Valley Water District’s via their Access Valley Water web site.

Who do I contact for debris or maintenance issues on public streets (not on the trail system)?
Please contact the City's Department of Transportation dispatch office at 277-4373 between the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Mon-Fri except holidays. Dispatchers can either take care of an issue or direct the call appropriately.

How do I reach Caltrans for highway work near a trail?
Visit Caltrans website to provide details about the repair request

How do I reach the VTA for transit work near a trail?
Call the VTA customer service support at: 408-321-2300

I'm managing a nearby project and need to close the trail temporarily for public safety reasons - how do I do that?
Please follow the City's Trail Closure Policy and inform the Trail Manager as soon as possible for review, input and public notification. 

Can I use a Segway on the trail?
Yes, you can use an EPAMD (Electric personal assistive mobility device) on San Jose trails.  Be aware that the definition of EPAMD does not include motorcycles (internal combustion, electric or other means of propulsion). 

Related State Language is provided below:

Section 313 of The CVC reads: 
The term "electric personal assistive mobility device" or "EPAMD" means a self-balancing, nontandem two-wheeled device, that is not greater than 20 inches deep and 25 inches wide and can turn in place, designed to transport only one person, with an electric propulsion system averaging less than 750 watts (1 horsepower), the maximum speed of which, when powered solely by a propulsion system on a paved level surface, is no more than 12.5 miles per hour

Section 467.  (a) of the CVC defines a pedestrian as
(a)  A "pedestrian" is a person who is afoot or who is using any of the following:
     (1) A means of conveyance propelled by human power other than a bicycle.
     (2) An electric personal assistive mobility device.
(b) "Pedestrian" includes a person who is operating a self-propelled wheelchair, motorized tricycle, or motorized quadricycle and, by reason of physical disability, is otherwise unable to move about as a pedestrian, as specified in subdivision

Emergency & Safety Concerns  
Who do I call in an emergency?
Call 911 from a telephone or 277-8911 from a cell phone. Watch for milestone markers on select trail systems to help responders determine your location and quickest means of access. 

Who do I call for a non-emergency concern? 
If no immediate danger or hazard, you may call 311 to reach the Police Department.

Who do if I contact to report suspicious behavior or have a concern about public safety?
You may not perceive the issue to be an emergency, but it is appropriate to call 911 so that operators and the Police can make an assessment and take appropriate action.

Who do I call about graffiti or vandalism?

Who do I call to report a homeless encampment or vagrancy?  NEW
Call the Homeless Concerns Hotline at 408 975-1440 or email  .  This hotline is for residents, business owners, and other community members to report issues related to homelessness.  Housing Department staff will respond to callers and emails within three business days to acknowledge receipt of concern and collect any additional details needed.  An outreach team will then be deployed to assess the siltation, offer services to homeless individuals in the area and determine the next steps to resolve the reported problem.

You can report encampments that may just be taking shape to the Park Ranger and Park Concerns staff at 408 793-5510 or 

To report an established encampment contact the Housing Department through their 
website. Alternative, please call the City’s Homeless Helpline at (408) 510-7600.

A Union Pacific Train is stopped and blocking passage - Who can I call?
San Jose's Trail Program does not have authority or influence regarding the scheduling of Union Pacific railway operations. But the railroad does accept reports on blocked crossings at 1 888 877-7267. 

Can I use the trail during storm events?
You should proceed with extreme caution during rainy weather and not travel through any standing water. Many trail under-crossings may be beneath water during and after a storm event and may also be impacted by submerged debris. Maintenance staff monitors these facilities and seek to have them cleared as quickly as possible after a storm.

What do I do if I see a Mountain Lion?
Call 911 immediately for the following conditions: immediate threat to humans, acting aggressively, sick or injured. If you see a mountain lion near a park or trail, call (408) 793-5510 or send an email to the Park Concern Hotline. Park Operations staff can post warning signage as appropriate and take any other necessary actions. For more information on Mountain Lions, go to the California Department of Fish and Game web site.

How do I volunteer to help maintain the trails?
Please call Mollie Tobias at 408 793-4190 or via email at or email for volunteer opportunities.

How do I volunteer to support development of the Guadalupe River Park and Trail?
The Guadalupe River Park Conservancy champions expansion, maintenance and programming of the park.Visit the conservancy's volunteer page to learn how you can participate.

About San Jose and the region's trails
Does trail mileage reported include sidewalks and streets?  
No San Jose's reported trail mileage is based entirely on off-street trails. Gaps in the system that require travel on a sidewalk or street do not contribute to mileage.  San Jose's Greenprint describes development of the 100-mile trail network as an entirely off-street facility.  Minor walking paths through parks or plaza spaces are not counted. 

Where can I get information on trails in the surrounding region? 
Visit the links page for route planning tools and websites for neighboring agencies.  

Who do I contact to learn about a developing trail?
Email questions to the Trail Manager.

Special Events
Who do we contact to host a marathon or other special event along a trail?
The Department of Parks, Recreation and Neighborhood Services is happy to offer assistance in planning your special event.To learn more about special conditions and to secure a permit, please contact the Special Park Use Unit at (408) 794-6500 or via email at  



How can I support development of more trails and open space?
Join the San Jose Parks Foundation.  Contact your local, state and federal government officials to express support for trail funding programs. We can always use Letters of Support when submitting grants – getting them from companies that see the trails as an important commute option makes the grant application far more compelling. Please introduce us to your employer's lobbying or advocacy group.