Click to Home
Go To Search
Tug of War in a Park
San Jose Home

Need a permit?  You’ve come to the right spot!  The Department of Parks, Recreation and Neighborhood Services provides permits for everything

  • Bounce House/Air Jumper
  • Bug Collecting
  • Metal Detecting
  • Photography

If you’re planning a large scale festival or event, we have a section dedicated to Special Park Usage (SPU) Permits that will help you plan your blockbuster event. Take a quick look at the links below.

Bounce Houses / Air Jumper Permits

The City of San Jose has 36 parks that allow an air jumper set-up.  Each park listed was chosen based on the availability of restrooms, space, parking and location.  Within these 36 parks, many offer 1, 2, or 3 air jumper set up sites. Some sites require a picnic reservation and some do not – there are many options from which to choose!  Be sure to read through the Air Jumper rules and guidelines before you make your reservation or call a vendor.  You must use one of the vendors from the City of San Jose’s approved vendor list

Resources & Downloads
Bug & Insect Collecting

For the entomology enthusiast we offer insect collecting permission in all of our city parks. You must visit the Leininger Center to obtain an Authorization Letter to collect bugs for personal use. 1300 Senter Road, San Jose, CA 95112 or call (408) 794-6527 for more information.


Holding Large Festivals & Events

The City of San José has many special event venues for concerts, festivals or walk-a-thons. Venues include iconic locations in the heart of downtown San José such as Plaza de Cesar Chavez, Guadalupe River Park & Gardens – Discovery Meadow and Arena Green as well as the historic St. James Park. Follow the link for more information.


Metal Detecting
Application forms can be picked up at Leininger Center. Completed applications must be submitted to the park reservation staff at Leininger Center, 1300 Senter Road (inside Kelley Park), Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:40pm. There is a yearly application fee of $40 and $1 for each detector card (first card is included in the application fee).

Los Lagos Golf Course
Phone: (408) 361-0250
Ranco Del Pueblo Golf Course
Phone: (408) 347-0990
San Jose Municipal Golf Course
Phone: (408) 441-4653
Required Photo Permits
There are many beautiful areas in our City of San José parks that are perfect for your special photos.  Whether it’s a colorful backdrop of roses at the Municipal Rose Garden or the tranquil beauty of the Koi ponds in the Japanese Friendship Garden, City of San José parks have a venue suitable for any type of occasion. 

Professional Photography

Photo permits are necessary for any type of photography or filming where a photographer is profiting from taking photos or using advanced photographic equipment (i.e., lights, reflectors, props, costumes, models, etc.)  Example: A couple who secures and pays a photographer to take their wedding photos at a park at a designated time shall be required to obtain a photo permit and pay permit fees.

Non-Professional Photography

Non-professional photography where the photographer is not being paid and the equipment is limited to the use of a camera and tripod or monopod, does not need a permit.  Example: A group of students interested in taking planned, non-professional prom photos at a City park shall not be required to obtain a photo permit or pay fees.

Photo permits may be obtained at the Leininger Center,located in Kelley Park, 1300 Senter Road, Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:30 pm.  The calendars for our two most popular wedding photo sites, the Japanese Friendship Garden and the Municipal Rose Garden, fill up fast, so it is advisable to plan well ahead of your desired date.

Two hour photo permit – Japanese Friendship Garden, Regional Parks, and Neighborhood Parks

  • $60.00application fee
  • $40.00permit fee

One hour photo permit fee at the Municipal Rose Garden

  • $60.00application fee
  • $40.00permit fee
Photo permits are scheduled during the one hour between wedding ceremony reservations at the Municipal Rose Garden.  If booking a wedding ceremony reservation at the Municipal Rose Garden, the photo permit fee is included in the reservation fee and the two hour time slot.

You might also be interested in ...

Family Camp HHPZ fields.jpg swimming.jpg trails.jpg
Family Camp at Yosemite
Happy Hollow
Park & Zoo
Sports Fields & Courts Aquatics Program Trail Network