Click to Home
Go To Search
San Jose Home
Planning Tips

If you are planning an outdoors special event in the city of San Jose, review the planning information below. If you have any questions please call the Office of Cultural Affairs at (408) 793-4344.

Pre-event Planning

  • Review the special events guidelines. The special event guidelines are a comprehensive document that covers most aspects of event planning in the City of San Jose.
  • Review the Office of Cultural Affairs and parks calendars to determine if the space where you would like to conduct your event is available.
  • Contact the Office of Cultural Affairs (OCA) Event Coordinator or Special Park Use (SPU) staff if using a park to consult on layout strategies and location options.
  • Always contact SPU staff at (408) 793-6500 to confirm park availability before submitting a One Start Outdoor Special Event Application.
  • Use of a park is not confirmed until a completed application along with the application fee is submitted to the special park use unit.
  • Many run/walk/bike routes require a Caltrans Encroachment Permit. The acquisition of Caltrans Encroachment Permit requires 6 weeks and is coordinated through the City’s Transportation Department. 
  • Submit a completed application a minimum of 60 to 90 days prior to the first proposed event day; the latest an application may be received is 45 days prior to the first proposed event day. 


• Working with City Departments & County Agencies
Logistical Planning: Cost Saving Strategies & Tips
Mobile Food Facilities (food trucks): What to Know
Outdoor Fireworks Display Inspection Checklist
• Private Property: Event Planning