Click to Home
Go To Search
San Jose Home
City Costs
Below are typical event costs that may be charged to event organizers by the City of San Jose. Costs will vary with each event. It may be cost effective to utilize private vendors to provide some event support services. A cost estimate will be included with your permit approval letter. The amounts listed below are based on rates effective as of July 1, 2017 and are subject to change. You may be required to pay some or all costs in advance of your event.

1. Paseo / Plaza Permit Application
  • Paseo/plaza use permits - $290
  • Non-Peak extended permit fee - $285 
  • Paseo/plaza series permits - $440
  • Easy urbanism permit - $150 
  • Limited special event & guaranteed simple assembly - $45
  • Parque de los Pobladores permits - $65.00
  • Parque de los Pobladores series permits - $105
  • Streets and sidewalk return inspection fee - $100 (per visit)
  • Cleaning / damage deposit - $1500 (refundable)

2. Private Property Permit Applications 
  • Private property permit fee – $850
  • Private property permit fee, downtown core – $110
  • Private property repeat event permit fee - $450
  • Private property tent only fee - $450

3. Special Park Use (SPU)
  • Application fee - $40 / $120 less than 45 days
  • Late application fee - $120 to $330

Permit Fee:
  • Non-profit fee $550 / For Profit fee $1,100 (Small scale event)
  • Non-profit fee $1,000 / For Profit fee $2,000 (Medium scale event)
  • Non-profit fee $1,400 / For Profit fee $2,800 (Large scale event)

Trail Use Fee:
  • Non-profit fee $200 / For Profit fee $400 (Small scale event)
  • Non-profit fee $500 / For Profit fee $1,000 (Medium scale event)
  • Non-profit fee $1,000 / For Profit fee $2,000 (Large scale event)

Setup/take down day(s):
  • Non-profit fee $150 / For Profit fee $300 (Small scale event)
  • Non-profit fee $300 / For Profit fee $600 (Medium/Large scale event)
Cleaning/damage deposit – minimum $250 (depending on size, location, history)

For SPU definitions on the Small, Medium or Large event sizes visit the SPU Fee Matrix.

  • Non-profit filming / photography $40 per 8 hours
  • For-profit filming / photography $600 per 8 hours
  • Additional 4 hour period $250 each

Plaza de Cesar Chavez amenities diagram showing featured updates to the park, please contact Special Park Use Staff for details.

4. Police Officers/Parking, Traffic & Control Officers and related costs

You may be required to hire San Jose Police Officers and/or Parking Traffic and Control Officers for traffic management. Police officers will be required at events that serve alcohol.
  • Alcohol permits (SJPD) – $126
  • Street closure permits - $203
  • Parade permits - $277
  • Annual processing fee to employ off-duty police - $469, $410 for events lasting 5 days or less, $35 for schools and public entities
  • Pay rate for all secondary employment officers -$55 per hour minimum / 82.50 per hour time and one half rate, 3 hour minimum.
  • Pay rate for Parking and Traffic Control Officers - $37.71 per hour, 4 hour minimum.
Time and one-half will be charged on any assignment exceeding 8 hours including any on-duty officers who have finished an 8-hour shift and must continue to work off-duty. Time and one half rate may be authorized to ensure staffing of an event, with approval from secondary employment unit commander. Double time will be charged on some holidays.

5. Street Closures
  • Street closure permits - $203
  • Public safety equipment rental: The cost is based on number of hours labor to deliver and pick up equipment, estimated costs are approximately - barricades and delineators - $4.25 each, Cones - $4 each.
Note: Street Closure may require use of police officers and/or parking control officers. See above cost details.

6. Tow Zone and Closing Parking Meters
  • Tow zone permit - $30
  • Tow zone sign, each, plus tax - $0.53
  • Bagging parking meters (per day) - $8 per smart meter, $4 other meters
  • Public Safety Equipment Rental: The cost is based on number of hours labor to deliver and pick up equipment

7. Fire Department
  • Site inspection, fire watch - $122 per hour with a three hour minimum.
  • Plan review - $188 per hour
  • Pyrotechnic permits - $624
  • Festival/Carnival/Fair permits - $247
  • Parade/Float permits - $437 plus hourly rate if review exceeds 1 hour
  • Tent permits - $624 plus hourly rate if review exceeds 1 hour 
  • Pyrotechnic fire watch - $188 per hour
8. Public Works Department - Electrical

If electrical services is provided by city electricians there are charges for labor, vehicle usage, materials, and related costs.
9. Environmental Services Department

Visit the Environmental Services website for compete service cost information.

10. Proof of Insurance
  • insurance minimums may be required by the City's Office of Risk Management:
  • Commercial General Liability $1,000,000
  • Automobile Liability $1,000,000
  • Liquor Liability $1,000,000
  • Workers' Compensation and Employers' Liability $100,000 per accident (required by Labor Code of the State of California)
Please be sure to consult OCA staff at (408) 793.4344 for specific event requirements.

The certificate of insurance holder must be the City of San Jose with language naming the City of San Jose, its officers, employees, agents and contractors as additional insured. All insurance requirements must be met and an insurance certificate must be on file with OCA prior to the event.
11. Street Light Pole Banners
The installation and removal of vertical banners on pre-established street light poles - $58 each. Banners must be provided by the event organizer. Banner arms may be added to street poles to support banners at the event organizer’s expense. Banners must be provided by the event organizer. Banners must be the exact size outlined in the banners guidelines to fit the city’s banner hardware.

12. Temporary Seller's Permit
Permit and fee handled by the State of California, Board of Equalization. Call (408) 277-1807 for costs.

13. Food Permit
Permit and fee processed by the County of Santa Clara, Department of Environmental Health, (408) 918-3400.

13. FAA Approval
Parachute jumps, fireworks, helicopters, grounded airplanes, etc. all require FAA approval.

14. Caltrans Approval
The closure of freeway on and off ramps requires an encroachment permit from Caltrans, call (408) 452-7131 for information. Caltrans requires that the encroachment permit application be submitted 6 months in advance for new events and 3 months in advance for repeat events. Permission from the California Highway Patrol may also be required.

Note: The fees and costs identified are subject to change. Actual costs may vary. If you have questions regarding the fees and charges that may apply to your event, please contact the Office of Cultural Affairs at (408) 793-4344.