Click to Home
Go To Search
Planning Building and Code Enforcement
San Jose Home
Contact Us
Code Enforcement
200 E. Santa Clara St.
4th Floor
San Jose, CA 95113

Ph: (408) 535-7770

Open:  8:00 am - Noon
   1:00 - 5:00pm
Closed:  Noon - 1:00pm

Service Request Form
Multiple Housing Inspection Program
Male hand holding pencil writing on clipboard Owners and Managers: Prepare for the next inspection of your multifamily property
See the checklist and list of resources on how you can prepare for the next routine inspection on the Preparing for Inspection page.

Code Connection
Subscribe to the Code Connection newsletter for helpful information and practical tips on inspection preparedness and keeping your building safe. Subscribing is free and easy. 

Sign up to join our mailing list
Multiple Housing Inspection Program
The Multiple Housing Program provides three levels of service; inspections will be conducted on a 3, 5 or 6 year cycle depending upon the Service Level Tier assignment listed on the Multiple Housing Roster. The assigned inspector will provide the handout How to Prepare for a Routine Housing Inspection

Prior Planning approval is required before making changes to the exterior of multifamily dwellings. Owners and managers are encouraged to ensure that building, plumbing, mechanical and electrical permits are obtained and finaled. There is a short list of projects that are exempt from permits. Unpermitted work will need to be legalized. Useful forms and handouts are available from the Building Division website. Check the status of permits at 

Learn more about the program in the Multiple Housing Inspection Program FAQs.

Residential Occupancy Permit
A Residential Occupancy Permit (ROP) is required for rental property with three or more units under one roof. This includes apartments, hotels, motels, fraternities, sororities, emergency shelters, and residential care facilities. Condominiums are not included on the Multiple Housing Roster and they do not require an ROP. Permits must be renewed annually. Learn how to renew your ROP.

Self-Certification Checklist Form for Tier 1 Buildings
Owners with buildings in Tier 1 are required to complete an affidavit online and agree to inspect every unit in the building annually. Owners are also required to provide a completed copy of the Tier 1 Checklist, which is filled out by the owner or property manager, within 5 working days of the inspection. The owner or property manager should also inform tenants about the timeline and actions, if any, needed to bring the property into full compliance with this list.

Owner Relocation Obligations
The San Jose Municipal Code specifies the circumstances under which owners are obligated to relocate tenants due to substandard housing conditions after the City issues a notice of violation.

Contact Us