Information for Tenants of ARO Units
Download this Tenant FAQ
Unsure if you live in an ARO unit? Check the map here.
a. reduces the annual allowable rent increase from 8% to 5%;
b. reduces the amount of rent increase a hearing officer may impose on top of capital improvement pass
through from 5% to 2%;
c. establishes a fair return petition process and standard effective after September 1, 2016; and
d. provides that other petitions for rent increases in excess of 5% may not be filed after September 1, 2016.
3. When will the changes become effective?
4. How long will the Interim Ordinance be in effect?
5. Where can I find the Interim Ordinance that was approved by the City Council?
6. Where can I find the entire ARO?
7. When does the 5% maximum annual allowable increase go into effect?
8. Does this mean my rent will automatically increase on June 17th by 5%?
9. My landlord gave me a notice that says my rent will go up 8% and the first increased rent payment is due on June 1.
Is that allowed?
11. I just received a rent increase but I don’t think it’s allowed. What can I do?
12. How often does the ARO allow rents to be raised?
13. When can a rent increase over 5% be justified?
To receive automatic e-mails with information on ARO updates and upcoming meetings, please sign-up and select "2015 Apartment Rent Ordinance Update.