Click to Home
Go To Search
Development Services
San Jose Home
Encroachment Permits
Encroachment permits are used to allow construction work in the public right-of-way. If the applicant is either a public utility company (PG&E, AT&T, San José Water Co., Comcast, etc.) or another governmental agency (Caltrans, VTA, SCVWD, County of Santa Clara, etc.), please go to our Utilities Section website for permit application information.

Encroachment permits typically require a plan showing the work proposed, as well as fees and surety to insure the completion of the work. We have permits for the following activities: 
  • Sanitary Sewer Lateral – for construction of a new connection to the sanitary sewer system.
  • Revocable Encroachment – for temporary encroachment into the public right-of-way, used primarily for the installation of groundwater monitoring wells, crane construction, covered walkways, and soil sampling.
  • Private Utility – for future utility company infrastructure constructed in the public right-of-way by private contractors working for a developer or property owner. If the franchised utility company is doing the work, then a permit will be issued by the Utilities Section.
  • Driveway / Sidewalk – for new driveways or sidewalk for single family homes