FLASH REPORT #89 - COVID-19 Mitigation and Response
The following is information about the City of San José’s response to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and reduce the number of people infected.
City of San José
Emergency Operations Center
Rosario Neaves, Director of Communications/EPIO: 210-823-3908
City of San José Media Line: 408-535-7777
City of San José Customer Contact Center: 3-1-1 (408-535-3500)
Updates on City of San José Services and/or Operations
- City Manager Update to Council: City Manager Dave Sykes presented an update to the City Council on Tuesday, May 5, regarding the City’s response to COVID-19. View the entire presentation on the City’s YouTube Channel. Dave Sykes and officials from the City of San Jose’s Emergency Operations Center discussed the City’s efforts to support people experiencing homelessness during the crisis and provide food and household supplies to those in need. The report also provided a summary of the County’s revised health order and gave an overview of the resumption of construction activities and in-person inspection services in San José.
- Extension of Proclamation of Local Emergency: On Tuesday, May 5, during Item 3.3, the City Council voted to adopt a resolution finding the continued existence of a local emergency and extending the March 6, 2020 Director of Emergency Services’ proclamation of a local emergency resulting from community spread of the coronavirus in the City of San José. The extension allows the City to exercise extraordinary police powers, such as evacuation; immunity for emergency actions; authorization of issuance of orders and regulations; activation of pre-established emergency provisions; and is a prerequisite for requesting state or federal assistance during the COVID-19 outbreak. Read the full memo on the City’s website.
- Happy Hollow Events Cancelation: Due to the many challenges and uncertainties presented by COVID-19 and its impacts on program preparation, Happy Hollow Foundation's free Senior Safari event series 2020, which serves older adults May through October, has been canceled. Also, Brew at the Zoo, a 21 and up night presented by The Beerwalk that was slated for June 19 has been canceled. Refunds will be issued for all early-bird Brew at the Zoo ticket purchases. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for questions. During the temporary closure due to COVID-19, Happy Hollow continues to provide dedicated and professional care to the animals. For more information and updates about Happy Hollow Park & Zoo, visit www.happyhollow.org.
- Gracefully Sewn Masks Distributed to Adults with Intellectual Disabilities: Staff from the Grace Art & Wellness Program sewed over 500 fabric masks for their customers, primarily adults with mental illness and other cognitive disabilities. Known as Grace, this Department of Parks, Recreation and Neighborhood Services therapeutic recreation program is located at Northside Community Center. Although the facility is temporarily closed, staff continue to support and serve 70-90 members per day during COVID-19 by making wellness-check calls and offering their support if needed. All masks were gracefully made with love and care using donated material. Staff will continue sewing masks for their members and for vulnerable neighbors who reside in group homes.
- Thank A Hero: Today, take a moment to celebrate nurses on National Nurse’s day, or any first responder on the frontline of COVID-19 response efforts. Continue to do your part and stay home to protect lives. Visit the City's Virtual Recreation Center for daily suggestions on staying active at home during the shelter-in-place. Explore more options at bit.ly/sjvirtualrec.
Updates from the State of California
- Covered California for Small Business Premium Grace Period: Covered California has announced another 30-day grace period for small businesses to make premium payments on their employees' health care plans. This will help keep thousands of Californians insured during the coronavirus pandemic. For more information, businesses can visit the Covered California for Small Business website or call 844-332-8384 (Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.).
Subscribe to News Releases eNotifications to receive City of San José Flash Reports, and follow us at sanjoseca.gov and @CityofSanJose on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Nextdoor
Esta información está disponible en español en www.sanjoseca.gov.
A person’s risk for COVID-19 is not related to race, ethnicity or culture. City employees must abide by the Discrimination and Harassment policy, and treat colleagues and members of the public with courtesy and respect. Discrimination and/or Harassment of any kind is a violation of the policies and will not be tolerated.