View the latest stories from the City of San José
Hopscotch & 4 Square Instructions
Fun and easy activities your children love playing at school you can create at home with tape! These activities will get your kids moving and have some fun.
Post Date:05/21/2020 5:36 PM
Return to full list >>
Gather necessary equipment including quantity:
- Bouncy Ball
Use any tape you have to create hopscotch.
- Throw a small beanbag, button, plastic toy, anything to land on square one. It has to land inside the square without touching the border or bouncing out. If you don't get it within the lines, you lose your turn and pass the object to the next person. If you do get it, however, go on to the next step.
- Hop through the squares, skipping the one you have your marker on. Each square gets one foot. Which foot you start with is up to you. You can't have more than one foot on the ground at a time, unless there are two number squares on the right next to each other. In that case, you can put down both feet simultaneously (one in each square). Always keep your feet inside the squares. If you step on a line, hop on the wrong square, or step out of the square, you lose your turn.
- Pick up the marker on your way back. When you get to the last number, turn around (remaining on one foot) and hop your way back in reverse order. While you're on the square right before the one with your marker, lean down (probably on one foot still!) and pick it up. Then, skip over that square and finish up.
Use any type of tape for 4 square.
Regular 4 Square Rules:
- Server (King) must put one foot behind the service line.
- Everyone must hit UNDERHAND.
- Ball must bounce ONCE and only ONCE in your square before you strike it (including serves).
- If someone makes a mistake you rotate up and that person goes to the back of the line (outside the #1 square).
- Server takes care of any arguments (unless it involves the server – then vote or play rock paper scissors).
- Inside lines are out, Outside lines are in.
- You can move anywhere outside the square or in your section of the square.
- If it bounces in your square you MUST strike it.
- Server Must Ask “Are you Ready” before serving.
- No Carrying, Stalling or Holding – you must Strike / Hit the ball.
You are out if:
- The ball in your square bounces 2 times or you hit it before it bounces.
- You hit the ball out of bounds.
- You hit the ball to an inside line.
- You hit a ball that was another player's ball (example: it bounds in their square and you hit it before it bounced a second time).
- A ball bounces in your square and you are unable to get it before it bounces a second time.