FLASH REPORT #15 - COVID-19 Mitigation and Response
The following is information about the City of San José’s response to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and reduce the number of people infected.
City of San José
Emergency Operations Center
Rosario Neaves, Director of Communications/EPIO; 210-823-3908
City of San José Media Line: 408-535-7777
Based on the increasing amount of community spread of COVID-19, seven Public Health Officers of the 6 most populous counties in the Bay Area and the City of Berkeley issued a region-wide order that will affect people living in the Bay Area designed to slow the spread of COVID-19. The order begins March 17 and is expected to last through April 7. Read the full County of Santa Clara press release here.
Santa Clara County residents should call 2-1-1 for public health information on COVID-19.
Updates on City of San José Services and/or Operations
At 12:45 p.m. on Sunday, March 15, the City of San Jose moved into Stage 5 (Extremely High Response) of its Pandemic Response Plan. The City will close facilities to the public starting Tuesday, March 17, 2020. The City will continue to provide critical public safety and utility services.
The following City facilities/ services remain open to the public or continue to operate:
- Mineta San José International Airport (SJC) is open and continues regular operations.
- San José Police and Fire Departments will continue regular operations.
- Utility Services such as Garbage and Recycling remain active.
- The March 17, 2020, San José City Council meeting will continue as planned.
- The space will be set up to allow for social distancing between all attendees including staff, Councilmembers, and the public.
- The San José-Santa Clara Regional Wastewater Facility will continue regular operations.
- San Jose Municipal Water will continue regular operations.
- The Customer Contact Center will be available by phone at 3-1-1 (408-535-3500).
The following City facilities are closed to the public until further notice:
- San José City Hall, located at 200 E. Santa Clara St., is closed to the public.
- City of San José Libraries and Community Centers
- San José Animal Care Center
- Happy Hollow Park and Zoo
- Lake Cunningham Action Sports Park
- Boards, Commissions, and Committee meetings will be canceled/postponed.
- The Development Services Permit Center located on the first floor of City Hall is closed to the public but our staff are continuing to work to serve you.
- Visit www.sanjoseca.gov/permitcenter for instructions on remote permit and plan review services.
Esta información está disponible en español en www.sanjoseca.gov.
A person’s risk for COVID-19 is not related to race, ethnicity or culture. City employees must abide by the Discrimination and Harassment policy, and treat colleagues and members of the public with courtesy and respect. Discrimination and/or Harassment of any kind is a violation of the policies and will not be tolerated.