FLASH REPORT #23 - COVID-19 Mitigation and Response
The following is information about the City of San José’s response to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and reduce the number of people infected.
City of San José
Emergency Operations Center
Rosario Neaves, Director of Communications/EPIO; 210-823-3908
City of San José Media Line: 408-535-7777
City of San José Customer Contact Center: 3-1-1 (408-535-3500)
Updates on City of San José Services and/or Operations
- San Jose Police Department: The City of San Jose has confirmed that a San Jose Police Department reserve officer has tested positive for COVID-19. The department is tracking the status of other officers that may have been exposed. The department ordered a deep cleaning of police facilities and vehicles the officer had recently come into contact with.
- San Jose Fire Department: Ensuring the safety of employees, residents and business community remains the highest priority. The department is taking measures to protect essential employees and first responders from the spread of COVID-19. The health of our first responders is critically important as they are on the frontlines as we help our community through the health crisis the COVID-19 presents. The Fire Department asks the public to follow all orders of the County of Santa Clara Public Health Department to protect the entire community from further spread of the virus. As of this update, 11 sworn personnel have tested positive and 76 who may have been exposed are being monitored. The City will continue to provide updates to these numbers.
- Relief for Homeowners: The Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) has directed Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to suspend foreclosures and evictions for at least 60 days due to the coronavirus national emergency. Earlier this month, FHFA announced that the two government-sponsored companies would provide payment forbearance to borrowers impacted by the coronavirus. Forbearance allows for a mortgage payment to be suspended for up to 12 months. Borrowers who may be experiencing financial challenges due to COVID-19 are strongly encouraged to contact their mortgage servicer to explore their options.
- Business and Non-profit Loans: The Small Business Administration (SBA) Economic Injury loan program in Santa Clara County can provide businesses and non-profits with relief from COVID-19 impacts. The application can be found through the SBA COVID-19 webpage. Businessownerspace.com partners SBDC, AnewAmerica, MBDA, and SCORE are available to help those in need prepare the loan paperwork.
- Street Sweeping: City staff and contractors will continue sweeping streets to keep debris out of local waterways. Use the City’s Utility Services Lookup page to find your sweeping day and time.
- Housing & Community Development Commission: The Housing and Community Development Commission scheduled for April 9 is cancelled.
- 2020 Census: Through the Census Accelerate Program, the U.S. Census Bureau announced the 2020 Census Get Out the Count Video Challenge. Participants are invited to produce a 30-second to 3-minute video in the language of their choice to help increase public awareness and census participation. A grand prize winner will receive $30,000. To encourage participation in the 2020 Census and the Get Out the Count Challenge, City employees produced a video. Taking part in the 2020 Census is quick and easy. Residents can complete it online at 2020census.gov or via phone at 844-330-2020, available in 13 languages. The current deadline to complete the census is July 31.
Subscribe to the News Releases eNotification list to receive City of San José Flash Reports, and follow us at sanjoseca.gov and @CityofSanJose on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Nextdoor.
Esta información está disponible en español en www.sanjoseca.gov.
A person’s risk for COVID-19 is not related to race, ethnicity or culture. City employees must abide by the Discrimination and Harassment policy, and treat colleagues and members of the public with courtesy and respect. Discrimination and/or Harassment of any kind is a violation of the policies and will not be tolerated.