If you have questions about the ADU permitting process, please reach out to our ADU
Ally at the Permit Center:
Parking Exemptions for an ADU (Municipal Code 20.30.150.I)
No parking is required for an ADU that meets any of the following criteria.
- The ADU is located within .5 mile of a public bus stop or rail station (see www.vta.org), and the path of travel is publicly accessible.
- The ADU is part of or within the primary residence or existing accessory building.
- The ADU is on a street that requires on-street parking permits, but the permit has not been offered to the occupant of the ADU.
- The ADU is located within one block of where a motor vehicle provides hourly and daily service as part of a regional fleet operated by a public agency or publicly-leased motor-vehicle-sharing organization.
- The ADU is located within a historic district listed in the City’s Historic Resources Inventory.
What about if I convert my garage? (Municipal Code 20.90.220(B)(2)
As of December 17, 2019, in alignment with new states laws, if a garage is converted to an ADU, the parking spaces no longer must be replaced.