ALERT: In efforts to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and reduce the risk of contagion, the City of San Jose has decided to close City Hall until further notice. The Finance Department will have limited capacity to respond to your inquiries. We are asking you to be patient with receiving a response from us. There are many functions available online to meet your needs during this time. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Every person or company conducting business in San José must register for a Business Tax Certificate. Payment is due within 90 days of starting business in San José.
What you need
- Start date of business in San José
- Tax Identification Number (FEIN, SSN, and/or TIN)
- Driver’s License Number (for the principal owner)
- Telephone number
- Ownership name(s) & address(es)
- Address of each location in San José where you do business
- Valid email address
- Contractor's Number/Type (If applicable)
- State Sellers Permit Number (If applicable)
- County Health Permit Number (If applicable)
how to pay
- For New Registrations: If you did not pay during the registration process, you will receive your invoice by mail within 5-10 business days. Then, you may mail in payment or come back here to pay online.
- For Renewals: Pay your Business Tax online. Please have your invoice ready.
After paying, you'll get a Business Tax Certificate in the mail. Remember to display your certificate at your business at all times.