Creation of the Office of the Independent Police Auditor
The Office of the Independent Police Auditor (IPA) was established by the San José City Council in 1993 with the enactment of a City ordinance codified in the San José Municipal Code. Thereafter, on November 6, 1996 the voters of San José amended the City Charter to establish the Office of the Independent Police Auditor as a permanent arm of city government.
The IPA office is a government agency separate and independent of the San Jose Police Department. We strive to increase confidence in the police department by listening to the community, by suggesting good policy changes, and by making sure that the Department addresses officer misconduct.
In the 26 years that the IPA office has existed, there have been six Independent Police Auditors:
- Teresa Guerrero-Daley (1994 - 2005)
- Barbara J. Attard (2005 - 2008)
- Shivaun Nurre, Interim IPA (2009 - 2010)
- Judge LaDoris H. Cordell (Retired) (2010 - 2015)
- Shivaun Nurre, Interim IPA (2015)
- Walter Katz (2016 - April 2017)
- Shivaun Nurre, Interim IPA (April 2017- September 2017)
- Aaron B. Zisser (September 2017- August 2018)
- Shivaun Nurre, the current IPA, appointed in December 2018.