Issues Reviewed During IPA Audit
- Was the investigation completed in a timely manner?
- Was the case properly classified?
Presence / Absence of Allegations
- Do the listed allegations adequately capture the concerns voiced by complainant?
- Were any allegations removed? If so, why?
Presence / Absence of Supporting Documentation
- If pertinent, did the investigator obtain and review documentation such as:
- CAD (SJPD Computer Aided Dispatch logs)
- Medical records
- Police reports/citations
- Taser downloads
- Use of force response reports
Presence / Absence of Interviews Conducted by Internal Affairs
- Witnesses – what efforts were taken to identify and contact witnesses?
- Witness officers – what efforts were taken to identify and interview officers who witnessed the incident?
- Subject officers – what efforts were taken to identify and interview subject officers?
Presence / Absence of Logical,Objective Application of Policy to the Facts
- What is the policy/Duty Manual section that governs the conduct in question?
- Is this authority applicable to the case or is other authority more pertinent?
- Does the analysis apply all the factors set forth in the authority to the facts
Presence / Absence of Objective Weighing of Evidence
- What weight was given to officer testimony? Why?
- What weight was given to civilian testimony? Why?
- Does the analysis use a preponderance standard?
- Does the analysis logically address discrepancies?