Policy Effective Date: April 18, 2018
The City of San José is committed to promoting and protecting the privacy rights of residents.
Our policy is to limit the collection of personal information and to safeguard the privacy of personal information collected or maintained by the City of San José.
- The City collects personal information only as allowed by law. We limit the collection of personal information to what is relevant and necessary to identify you and communicate with you in civic engagement or to provide City services. You may choose to opt out and engage anonymously.
- The City will inform residents of the purpose for which information is collected. At the time of collection, we will tell residents about the general uses for the information. We allow residents who provide personal information to review, update, or contest the information for accuracy and completeness.
- The City automatically collects information about you when you use My San Jose. When you use My San Jose, we automatically collect information about you, including:
- The City uses information about you to operate, improve, promote, and protect My San Jose, to communicate with you and personalize the content for you.
Operating My San Jose
We may use information about you for various purposes related to operating My San Jose, including to:
- 4.1 Provide, maintain, and improve our Platform;
- 4.2 Process requests and develop new services and features;
- 4.3 Personalize the customer experience;
- 4.4 Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities about our Platform; and
- 4.5 Detect, investigate, and prevent fraudulent transactions, abuse, and other illegal activities, and protect the rights property, and/or safety of the City and individuals.
Communicating with You
We may use information about you for various purposes related to communicating with you, including to:
- 4.6 Provide customer service; respond to your comments, questions, and requests;
- 4.7 Communicate with you about products, services, and events offered by the City;
- 4.8 Deliver notifications directly to your mobile device, in accordance with the communication preferences that you indicate in your account; and
- 4.9 Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, support, and administrative messages.
- The City takes measures to protect your privacy in the data processing of personal information with service providers.
- The City uses information security safeguards. We take reasonable precautions to protect the personal information on individuals collected or maintained by the City against loss, unauthorized access, use, modification, or disclosure.
- The City only uses or discloses personal information for the specified purposes, or purposes consistent with those purposes, unless we get the consent of the subject of the information, or unless required by law or regulation. The Public Records Act exists to ensure that government is open and that the public has a right to have access to appropriate records and information possessed by state government. At the same time, there are exceptions in both state and federal law to the public's right to access public records. These exceptions serve various needs including maintaining the privacy of individuals. In the event of a conflict between this Policy and the Public Records Act, or other law governing the disclosure of records, the applicable law will control.
City of San José,
Information Security Office,
200 E. Santa Clara Street,
San José, CA 95113
Contact email: email@example.com