Updates on City of San José Services and/or Operations . (English | Español | Tiếng Việt | 中文)

Know Your Rights

The Mobilehome Rent Ordinance provides the foundation for mobilehome residents' rights in San José.


The City’s Mobilehome Rent Ordinance covers spaces for which plumbing, electrical and sewer permits were issued prior to September 7, 1979. Some mobilehome spaces may be exempt from the Ordinance.

To determine if a property is covered by this ordinance, you can click here to view a map or contact the Rent Stabilization Program staff at (408) 975-4480. When viewing the map, follow these steps:

  1. Select "Mobile Home Parks" from the menu on the left side of the screen to view properties covered by the Mobilehome Rent Ordinance.
    (If the menu does not automatically show when you open the map, click the blue box with the three white horizontal lines inside to open the menu.)
  2. Type in the property address at the top left and press enter.
  3. Click on the purple areas to learn more about the mobilehome parks located there.


A resident may temporarily waive his/her rights under the Mobilehome Rent Ordinance by entering into a long-term lease with the park owner. The waiver of rights is valid only if all of the following criteria are met:

  • The agreement was dated on or after January 1, 1986;
  • The duration of the lease exceeds twelve (12) months;
  • The owner of the mobilehome actually lives at the location on the lease;
  • The first paragraph of the rental agreement notifies the mobilehome owner that he/she will be losing their protection under the Ordinance by signing the lease.


Park owners may not do the following in retaliation for park residents demanding their rights under the Ordinance:

  • Threaten to sue the resident for possession of their coach;
  • Harass the resident until they leave;
  • Reduce the resident's services;
  • Increase the resident's rent;
  • Impose a security deposit or any other new charge.

If any of these actions occur, residents should provide a written complaint to the City's Rent Stabilization Program or consult with legal counsel.


The Rent Stabilization Program may be contacted at (408) 975-4480 or by e-mail. It is located at:

San José City Hall
12th Floor
200 East Santa Clara St.
San José, CA 95113