The Mayor’s Gang Prevention Task Force aims to devise and execute policies that help prevent, intervene in and suppress gang activity in the community. Composed of a policy and tactical team, the task force works collaboratively across City departments and with Santa Clara County to fund and execute various efforts.
- 2018-2020 Work plan
- Bringing Everyone’s Strengths Together Program: The BEST grant program helps fund and coordinate dozens of community service providers who offer violence prevention and gang suppression programs that reach thousands of high-risk and gang-involved youth each year.
- City of San Jose Youth Intervention Services
- The Parent Project: The Parent Project partners the City of San Jose with Santa Clara County to empowers parents to address high-risk behaviors in their teens.
- Re-entry resource center: The County of Santa Clara’s Re-Entry Resource Center provides former offenders with essential support like health care access, alcohol, and drug treatment, and employment and housing assistance, to foster successful community integration and reduce repeat offenders.
- Youth Voice Initiative: To enhance the dialogue between local youth and city leadership on preventing gang activity and to develop a message that resonates w/ youth, the City has partnered with CreaTV.
- Faith Initiative: The Task Force has launched the Faith Initiative to better engage the City’s faith community in combatting and preventing gang-related violence.