Are you a San José resident who needs help disposing of an unwanted or inoperable vehicle that belongs to you?
At no charge to you, the City of San José will tow away and dispose of unwanted vehicles from your property, limited to vehicles that are registered to you.
To receive this service, you must meet all the following criteria:
- You must be the registered owner of the vehicle being towed.
- The vehicle must be on your property, not on the street.
- The vehicle must be free and clear of liens or loans.
- You, as the vehicle’s registered owner, OR an approved authorized representative, must be present at the time of the tow.
- You must show the vehicle’s pink slip (Certificate of Title) to the tow service.
To request this service or for questions, call: 408-535-7770
Who can use the Free Unwanted Car Pickup service?
Only San José residents can use this service.
Is there a fee for this service?
No. This service is free for residents of San José.
Can I use the value of the vehicle as a tax write-off?
No. Your vehicle does not qualify as a charitable contribution by using this service.
Do I need to notify the DMV?
No. The City will process all necessary paperwork with the DMV.
Can you tow the vehicle from a backyard or side yard?
We can tow the vehicle from any location on the property as long as there is enough space to safely access the vehicle.
What happens to the vehicle after it is towed?
The vehicle will be dismantled or destroyed. You cannot get it back.