Any market-rate residential development proposed in an urban village area prior to the adoption of the urban village plan must conform to the General Plan Signature Project requirements. A Signature Project serves as a catalyst promoting the development of the entire urban village area.
These criteria broadly include:
- an Urban Village, residential, or commercial General Plan land use designation;
- more than its fair share of job-producing uses and housing density at 55 dwelling units per acre or higher;
- a visible, prominent location;
- publicly-accessible open space;
- pedestrian-friendly design;
- substantial community input;
- high-quality architecture, landscape, and site design; and
- recommendations from City’s Urban Design Review process or equivalent.
Four signature projects have been approved to date: AvalonBay West Valley, The Orchard, Bascom Gateway Station (Dick's Center), Stevens Creek Promenade (Fortbay), Sparta Housing, and Volar.
Approved Signature Projects:
AvalonBay West Signature Project
The AvalonBay Signature Project includes four publicly-accessible plazas totaling 10,000 square feet.
The Orchard Signature Project
The Orchard Signature Project provided a turn-key public park as part of this project, in order to satisfy the publicly-accessible open space requirement.
Bascom Gateway Station Signature Project
The Bascom Gateway Station Signature Project provides a direct, visually engaging publicly-accessible plaza to the light rail station.
Stevens Creek Promenade (Fortbay) Signature Project
The Stevens Creek Promenade (Fortbay) Signature Project provided approximately 1.3 acres of publicly-accessible open space/plaza to satisfy one of the signature project requirements.
Sparta Signature Project
The Sparta Signature Project features a publicly-accessible plaza at the corner of two major streets.
Pending Signature Projects:
Currently pending signature projects include: Cambrian Park Plaza.
Cambrian Park Plaza Signature Project
The Cambrian Park Plaza Signature Project features 1.6-acre publicly-accessible plaza.