Updates on City of San José Services and/or Operations . (English | Español | Tiếng Việt | 中文)


SJ Animal Care Center Logo

San José Animal Care Center
2750 Monterey Rd.
San Jose, CA 95111

408-794-PAWS (7297)

Pet Licensing

Who Can Get Pet Licenses at the San José animal CAre Center?

Residents of the following incorporated cities should license pets with San José Animal Care & Services:

    Fido dog tag.
  • San José
  • Milpitas
  • Cupertino
  • Los Gatos
  • Saratoga

In order to license your pet, you must have proof of current rabies vaccination. You can get the rabies vaccine from your local veterinarian or a vaccine clinic. Here are some vaccine clinics near you.

A rabies tag is separate from a license tag. The issuer of the rabies tag will not license your pet. It is the owner's responsibility to license their pet with the City.

Your pet's license expiration date will be aligned with your pet's rabies vaccination expiration date (unless the expiration of the current rabies vaccine extends beyond the license term you purchased). Refunds cannot be issued once a license is processed.

If your Rabies vaccine will expire in less than 3 months, you should see your veterinarian or visit a clinic and have your Rabies vaccine as soon as possible so that you can obtain your pet license.

License information

Vaccination Expiration
Pet Information
License Fees License Fees
Rabies vaccination expires in:
Pet is:
Dogs Cats
3 - 12 Months
Spayed or neutered
$25 $15
3 - 12 Months
Not spayed or neutered
$65 $35
13 - 36 Months Spayed or neutered
$50 $30
*Late Fee
$15 $15
Replacement tag fee (not available online)

$4 $4

*Late fees are imposed for any application received more than thirty (30) days after the dog became four months old, more than thirty (30) days after the date the dog was acquired or brought into the city, or more than thirty (30) days after expiration of previously issued license. *Due to COVID-19 ALL Late fees will be suspended as of 3/16
Reduced license fees are available for dogs or cats that have been spayed or neutered, cannot be spayed or neutered for health reasons, or are incapable of breeding.

Pet Licensing Options

For pet owners who reside in the incorporated cities of San José, Cupertino, Los Gatos, Milpitas, or Saratoga, we offer three options to make purchase or renewal of pet licenses convenient for you:

  • Online
    You may buy or renew online followed by a faxed, emailed, or mailed copy of the vaccination and spay/neuter certificate, if applicable. You will need to have your rabies certificate and spay / neuter certificate with you as you complete the online forms. Senior exemptions cannot be completed online.
  • By Mail
    Download the Animal License Application Form and mail it with your payment to the address on the form. Remember to include a copy of the vaccination and spay / neuter certificate, if applicable. We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and checks for mailed payments.
  • In person on-site licensing is temporarily suspended. Due to the pandemic the shelter is currently closed.  Thank you for your understanding.
    You may purchase a pet license six days a week at the José Animal Care Center located at 2750 Monterey Rd. SJ 95111. We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express and checks, and cash for in-person payments.

Licensing Department Contact Information
Phone: (408) 794-7240
Fax: (408) 229-2323

Pet Licenses for Seniors

Senior exemptions are offered to owners 65 years or older. A valid driver's license or birth certificate is required for proof of age. San José, Cupertino, Los Gatos, and Saratoga allow one free license per household and the pet must be spayed or neutered. Milpitas allows one free license per household. If you are applying for a senior exemption you may not use the online option.

Has Anything Changed For Your Current License?

Updating Your Pet's Record When You Move

It is important that we have your most current address and phone number in our database. If you move or change phone numbers, please call our office or send us an email and we will update the information in your pet(s) records. It is important especially if you move outside the city limits, to notify us immediately. We will then inactivate your pet(s) record and will not send you renewal notices in the future. If you move outside the limits of your current licensing jurisdiction, you must purchase a pet license in the jurisdiction in which you reside. Make sure to give the new licensing office your pet's microchip number (if applicable) for their database.

Lost, Stolen, Given Away, or Deceased Pets

If your pet becomes lost, stolen, given away, or is now deceased, please send us an email to let us know as soon as possible. We will update the pet record immediately.

Transferring Ownership of a Pet

If you relinquish ownership of your pet to someone else who resides within our licensing jurisdiction, our office will need your authorization to transfer the pet to the new owner. This can be done in person at the Animal Care Center or via mail with a handwritten letter and a copy of the driver's license of the original owner. This is also true if you recently acquired a pet that was formally licensed by the San Jose Animal Care Center.

If you are the new owner and you reside in the incorporated cities of San Jose, Cupertino, Los Gatos, Saratoga, or Milpitas, please complete an Animal License Application Form and send this completed form, the authorization of the transfer, and a check to our office, or visit us in person. Licenses cannot be transferred from person to person.

"Why does the City require me to license and vaccinate my pet?"

Many people living in countries without rabies control die each year from contracting this disease. Rabies is almost always fatal. Every State in the Union requires their counties and cities to protect their citizens from contracting rabies by mandating that every owned dog and cat be given a rabies vaccination. The only way for cities to avoid being in violation of this State mandate is to require their citizens to vaccinate their pets. Cities have no way of obtaining proof that their residents have complied with the law unless they have a record. In order to obtain a record, cities must require residents to license their pets with the caveat being they cannot license their pet without first supplying proof of rabies. The City of San Jose can then ensure that all dogs and cats licensed in their jurisdiction have proof of rabies and are in compliance with the State Rabies Mandate. (SJMC Sections 7.08.610, 7.08.615, 7.08.620, 7.08.625, 7.08.630, 7.08.635, 7.08.0640, 7.08.645)

Limits to Owning Pets

Animal limits for licenses apply to pets that are four months of age or older.

City Animal Limit
Maximum: two dogs, three cats. No more than one unspayed pet total (cat or dog)
Los Gatos
Maximum: three dogs, four cats. No more than five adult pets
Maximum: four dogs and/or cats total. No more than one unspayed pet total (cat or dog)
San José

Maximum: three dogs or five licensed animals total.


Examples: two dogs and three cats, five cats, etc.

No limit.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer