San José Animal Care Center
2750 Monterey Rd.
San Jose, CA 95111
Is a noisy pet or animal continuing to disturb you? Learn what to do here.
- Contact the neighbor who owns the noisy animal or barking dog. Tell them politely that the loud noise is bothering you. Ask them if they can please keep the animal inside or find another way to quiet the pet.
- If the problem persist call (408) 794-7297 to have a case number created. You’ll need to give the animal owner's address and your contact information which will remain anonymous. You’ll then be sent a packet in the mail.
- After you’ve received your case packet in the mail, follow the instructions enclosed with Nuisance Petition and Log Forms After all forms are returned and received the owner of the barking dog may receive a citation(s).
If you own a noisy animal
Know that letting your dog bark constantly is against the law. Barking dogs drive people crazy. It’s your responsibility to ensure your dog does not disturb your neighbors.
An easy solution for owners of noisy animals is for them to keep their dog inside the house. This way the dog is less likely to respond to birds, squirrels, and people walking by.
If you have already received a noisy animal citation but believe your pet is not the problem animal, you may submit a rebuttal form.
Reading the noisy animal ordinance
- Ordinance 28079: 7.40.010 Public Nuisance A. No owner / guardian or person with a right to control the animal may allow the animal to commit any of the following acts:
- Habitually disturb the peace and quietude of any neighborhood or person, by howling, barking, crying, baying, or making any other noise.