San José Animal Care Center
2750 Monterey Rd.
San Jose, CA 95111
Volunteer Position Title: SJACS Small Animal Socializer Pal
Supervisor: Volunteer Supervisor
Location of Volunteer Assignment: 2750 Monterey Hwy., San Jose, CA 95111
Minimum Age: 18
What is fun and meaningful about this job?
This position helps our adoptable small animals deal with the stress of living in a small shelter space. They are very grateful to have individual attention, to feel human touch, to hear human voices and to have a chance to play and receive affection. Our small animal habitats attracts much more attention when our small animals are active, social and soliciting attention. You will be able to help potential adopters get to know the animals better based on the behaviors you have observed. This gives them a much better opportunity to be adopted!
- Exercise, socialize and play with small animals such as rabbits, rats, mice, gerbils and guinea pigs
- Provide human interaction and affection
- Work with small animals that might be shy to be more comfortable with human touch
- Document activities, behavior and temperament
The volunteer must:
- Have a positive attitude
- Have experience handling small animals and be comfortable handling and reading their body language
- Be prepared to answer questions from customers about specific animals they are socializing
- Be able to document interaction
- Have the ability to work independently
- Be willing to adhere to the policies and procedures as instructed
- Be dependable
(All training done at the Animal Care Center. Class schedules provided after we receive your application.)
- SJACC Online Orientation
- Safe Animal Handling Training
- Satisfactory completion of written and practical evaluations
- This position requires up to 4 hours of training.
- It is not uncommon to have few or no small animals in adoptions. We will generally have rabbits who will need to be socialized. Therefore, we highly recommend that you either are comfortable handling small animals as well as rabbits or choose another area to volunteer in aside from small animals.