OpenGov allows you to explore budget and historical finances in a simple graphical user interface.
- The title of the report you are viewing is in the top left corner.
- Click on Views on the left-hand side to view a list of common or favorite views on each report.
- To focus on specific data – like a department, expense type, revenue or any combination – use the menu on the left side panel.
- Use the Show drop-down to select the data that is of most interest to you.
- Use the Broken-Down By drop-down to specify the category you would like the data organized by in your chart or graph.
- Select the Filtered By option to view the data filters. These filters will allow you to select exactly which data you want to include, or exclude, from your graph or chart.
- Use the Fiscal Year slider to choose the fiscal year(s) you would like to see.
- Use the Search function within each filter to find exactly what you are looking for.
- There are five different types of visual representations of the data:
- A stacked percentage to see percentage changes over time
- A stacked line graph to visualize overall trends over time.
- A line graph overlaying each trend over time.
- A pie chart to view percentage breakdowns by year. To view data for other years, move the slider below the pie chart.
- A bar chart comparing trends and percentage breakdowns over time.
- Below any chart or graph, you can view a Table detailing the financial information in the visualization above.
- Use the Share drop-down in the top right corner to share your customized graph or chart through social media and/or send a link to your customized graph or chart through email.
- Use the Download drop-down in the right corner to download an image of the graph or table as a .pgn file and/or download a spreadsheet as a .csv file.
- Use the Help drop-down to view a short how-to guide with tips on navigating the platform and to contact the City of San Jose about the site.
For additional information on OpenGov and to access educational materials, please visit: www.opengov.com/resources