The Bureau of Fire Prevention's Code Enforcement Division conducts inspections of all facilities that use, store or handle hazardous materials. These facilities are to operate in accordance with the California Fire Code, the City of San José Hazardous Materials Storage Ordinance, and all applicable Federal and State regulations based upon the specific occupancy classification and products on site.
The San José Fire Department is a Unidocs member and most required forms for submittal can be accessed via the Unidocs website. The hazardous materials staff consists of highly trained inspectors who are responsible for the regulation of these complex chemical facilities. The primary responsibilities of this program are to:
- Provide consultation to businesses regarding the safe use, storage and handling of hazardous materials
- Review construction documents related to hazardous materials facilities, including new construction and tenant improvements
- Conduct inspections of facilities that use, store or handle hazardous materials
- Investigate complaints pertaining to hazardous materials spills and releases
- Respond to emergencies when requested to provide additional technical assistance
Any questions related to the Hazardous Materials Program can be directed to the Bureau of Fire Prevention during normal business hours at 408-535-7750.