San José Fire Department
1661 Senter Rd.
San José, CA 95112
Supplemental Benefit & Retirement Information
This information is subject to negotiated changes with IAFF, Local 230.
- Health Insurance (five plans to choose from): Kaiser, Blue Shield (HMO), Blue Shield (Point-of-Service), Blue Shield (PPO), and Health-In-Lieu (available if you have alternative insurance).
- Dental Insurance (three plans to choose from): Delta Dental Plan (PPO), DeltaCare/PMI Plan (HMO), and Dental-In-Lieu (available if you have alternative insurance).
- Sick Leave: equal to .04616 hours multiplied by the number of hours worked (2,912 hours per year excluding overtime). This equals approximately 134 hours a year or 5½, 24-hour shifts.
- Uniform Allowance: $495 per year.
- Bilingual Pay: 2.5% of top-step Firefighter pay. Current languages qualifying for Bilingual Pay include: Arabic, Assyrian, Cambodian, Cantonese, Croatian, French, German, Greek, Hmong, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, and Vietnamese.
- Educational Incentives:
- Up to $1,000 a year to reimburse for costs associated with college accredited courses related to the position.
- $35 per pay period ($910 a year) for possession of a college degree (A.A., A.S, B.A., B.S., or master’s degree)
|Years of Service||Vacation Hours Per Year|
|1-5||120 Hours (Five Shifts)|
|6-10||168 Hours (Seven Shifts)|
|11-12||192 Hours (Eight Shifts)|
|13-14||216 Hours (Nine Shifts)|
|15+||288 Hours (12 Shifts)|
Firefighter Vision Standards
If you need detailed information, please call Medical Services.