Please Note: The benefit information provided on this page represents plan information for the 2019 plan year. For 2020 benefit information, please view the 2020 Benefits page.
The City of San José Currently Offers a Choice of Six Medical Insurance Plans
- Kaiser Permanente $25 Co-Pay HMO
- Kaiser Permanente $1,500 Deductible HMO
- Kaiser Permanente HSA Qualified $3000 Deductible HMO
- Sutter Health Plus $20 Co-pay
- Sutter Health Plus $1,500 Deductible Plan
- Blue Shield $100 PPO
A Health In-Lieu plan is available for employees with alternate group medical coverage. For more information, see the details in the Health In Lieu Plan Document.
Employee and City contribution amounts are subject to change each year in January in accordance with contract renewals. Employee contributions toward monthly premiums are determined by the applicable Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) for each bargaining unit or the Benefit and Compensation Summary. See rate sheets below.
- Health Plan Rates - For employees represented by POA or IAFF
- Health Plan Rates - For all other employees
To see a side by side comparison of our offered plans, see the Health Plan Comparison.
Kaiser Resources and Plan Information
Phone: (800) 464-4000
$25 Copay HMO Group #887
$1,500 Deductible Plan Group #887
- Plan Summary
- Summary of Benefits and Coverage - Northern California
- Paying For Care - Understanding the $1500 Deductible Plan
$3,000 Deductible Plan Group #887
As of January 1, 2015, Kaiser Permanente began to automatically track medical and pharmacy services to the annual Out-of-Pocket maximum for members. The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires the accumulation of all services that are subject to cost sharing for both HMO and Deductible HMO plans and, as a result of this new reporting requirement, Kaiser members may start to receive a Letter of Accumulation (LOA). Instructions on how to understand the statement are provided below, along with a sample view of the format of the letter.
Sutter Health Plus Resources and Plan Information
Phone: (855) 315-5800
$20 HMO Copay Group #777000
$1,500 Deductible Group #777000
$2,500 Deductible Group #777000
- Video-Sutter Health Plus Presentation
- Sutter Health Plus Presentation PowerPoint
- Sutter Health Plus Coverage Map
- Step-by-Step Guide to Finding a SHP Doctor
- Frequently Asked Questions
Blue Shield Resources and Plan Information
Phone: (800) 872-3941
$100 Deductible PPO Group #W0051445
All full-time and part-time benefited employees may enroll themselves and their eligible dependents in one of the City’s medical plans.
For information about the City's medical plans, email Human Resources - Employee Benefits at HRBenefits@sanjoseca.gov.
For information regarding the City’s cost sharing arrangement for premiums, contact the Office of Employee Relations at (408) 535-8150.