Updates on City of San José Services and/or Operations . (English | Español | Tiếng Việt | 中文)

Employee Assistance Program

The City's Employee Assistance Program (EAP) offered through Managed Health Network (MHN) has been established to offer free, confidential counseling to all full-time and part-time benefited employees (except Temporary Executive Managers and Temporary Unclassified Employees). Services cover a wide range of personal issues including marital, family, interpersonal, emotional, and drug abuse issues. In addition, a number of life management services are available to help you with child and elder care, legal, financial, credit, IRS, and retirement issues.

Managed Health Network (MHN)

Accessing EAP Services

Managed Health Network (MHN) LogoWebsite:

Enter access code in "Company Code" field as follows:

  • Sworn (Includes Dispatchers) web access: sanjosesworn
  • Non-Sworn web access: sanjosenonsworn

Phone: (888) 800-0059

When you speak with the MHN intake staff, tell them you are covered under the City of San Jose's EAP program. Also, provide your name and the City employee's name under whom you are covered. MHN will require this information to verify your eligibility for services.

If you are experiencing a medical or psychiatric emergency, please dial 911.


All full-time and part-time benefited employees (except Temporary Executive Managers and Temporary Unclassified Employees) and their eligible dependents may access EAP counseling and life management services.


The eligible employee pays nothing to participate. The City of San Jose contributes 100% of your monthly premium.

How to Enroll

All full-time and part-time benefited employees (except Temporary Executive Managers and Temporary Unclassified Employees) may enroll themselves and their eligible dependents in the City’s plan.

When Does EAP Coverage Begin?

You and your eligible dependents may use the counseling or life management services on the first of the month following your date of hire or benefits eligibility.

Counseling Benefits

The first five (5) visits* per incident per year are free. If additional appointments are necessary, you will have to pay for them. However, as a City employee, you may pay a reduced rate for additional counseling services.

If an incident is exceptionally serious, your counselor may refer you or your dependent to a psychologist or to another agency in a special field of expertise.

If referred to EAP by your supervisor for a work-related problem, you do not have to pay for additional appointments after your first 5 appointments. Visiting an EAP counselor at the recommendation of your supervisor is usually voluntary, but in some cases it may be mandatory. Refer to your MOA for specific information.

* The limit of five (5) visits per incident does not apply to sworn police and fire employees, safety dispatchers, and their respective dependents.

Life Management Benefits

Unlimited telephone consultations are available to employees and their eligible dependents for life management issues. Examples of life management consultation areas include Pre-Retirement Planning, Financial Planning, Child and Elder Care Referral, Taxpayer Consultations, and Legal Guidance (for questions regarding wills and contracts or questions related to family, real estate, personal injury, criminal and consumer law).

Telephone consultation sessions are usually limited from 30 to 60 minutes for each call; however, eligible participants are entitled to an unlimited number of free consultations throughout the year.

Confidentiality Assurance

Visits to a counselor are completely confidential unless the participant undergoing counseling authorizes the release of information by signing a release form. If you encounter service issues with an MHN provider or facility and you are concerned about maintaining your privacy within the City, please refer to the EAP Service Disputes and Complaints section below.

EAP Service Complaint / Appeals Procedures

If you have a complaint or dispute about MHN’s services or counselors, you may call the same toll free number you use to access your EAP services, visit their complaint website at to submit a complaint online, or submit a complaint in writing to:

MHN Appeals and Grievances
PO Box 10697
San Rafael, CA 94912

Within five business days of receiving your complaint, MHN will let you know, in writing, that your complaint was received, and they will submit it for resolution to the appropriate department. If you need help with a grievance involving an emergency, a grievance that has not been satisfactorily resolved by your Plan, or a grievance that has remained unresolved for more than 30 days, you may call the California Department of Managed Health Care at (888) 466-2219. The hearing and speech impaired may use the California Relay Service's toll-free telephone numbers: (800) 735-2929 (TTY) or (888) 877-5378 (TTY) to contact the DMHC. The DMHC's website ( also has complaint forms and instructions online.

When Coverage Terminates

Your EAP coverage will end on the last day of the month in which your employment or benefits eligibility terminates. Your dependents' coverage will end on the last day of the month in which either you or your dependents are no longer eligible.

Continuation of coverage may be available. Refer to the COBRA coverage section of this website for more information about Health, Dental, Vision, EAP, or MRA benefits continuation for you and your qualified dependents.


For information about the City's EAP plan, email Human Resources - Employee Benefits at

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer