Basic, Additional, Spouse/Domestic Partner, and Dependent life insurance coverage, including Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage (AD&D), is provided through the City’s group policy with Standard Insurance.
Policy: 630976-A Life Insurance
Phone: (855) 579-1879
- Life Insurance Brochure
- NEW Ready Enroll Website Log-In Instruction
- Life Insurance Certificate
- Guide to Updating Beneficiaries
- Beneficiary Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- MEDEX Travel Assistance Brochure
- Standard Insurance Privacy Notice
- Standard Insurance Group Life Portability Application
All full-time benefited employees are eligible to participate in the City’s group life insurance policy (part-time benefited and temporary employees are not eligible for life insurance). Employees are eligible for Basic, Additional, Spouse/Domestic Partner and Dependent coverage options.
How to Enroll
- Point your browser to https://standard.benselect.com/sanjoseca
- Follow instructions in the User Guide to enroll yourself, spouse, and/or children and designate beneficiaries.
- To add additional insured due to a life event such as marriage, birth, or death, please see the Life Event Guide
- If the your 30 day new eligibility window is still open and you have requested the Guaranteed Issue amount or less, Standard Insurance should approve the requested amounts in a timely fashion and will notify the City to begin deductions.
- Employees outside of their 30 day window, or employees requesting coverage that exceeds the guaranteed issue amount, will be required to complete a Medical History Statement online which will be reviewed by Standard Insurance. The employee will receive notification of approval or denial via mail. If approved, the City will be notified and deductions will begin accordingly.
For details on Additional, Spouse/Domestic Partner and Dependent coverage premiums please review the plan brochures. Premiums are paid through regular after-tax payroll deductions and are subject to change annually. Management employees should note that the premiums paid by the City for Basic coverage exceeding $50,000 are subject to federal taxation as additional earnings in accordance with IRS rules (only the premium is taxed, not the coverage amount).
Basic Life Insurance (City Paid)
- Non-management: All full-time non-management employees are insured for $10,000 (IAFF and POA), or $20,000 (all others), as shown in your MOA.
- Management: All management employees are insured for 2x annual earnings, rounded to the nearest $1,000, up to a maximum of $750,000.
Eligible employees are automatically enrolled in the City's Basic Life insurance and can designate beneficiaries online through Standard Insurance’s website, https://standard.benselect.com/sanjoseca.
Additional Life (Employee Paid)
All eligible, active employees may apply for Additional Life coverage in increments of $10,000 up to a maximum of $750,000 (not to exceed an amount equal to 6 times your annual earnings, rounded to the next higher multiple of $10,000, if not already a multiple of $10,000). Eligibility is based upon medical underwriting approval as determined by Standard Insurance. Premiums for this insurance are paid through regular payroll deductions. Employees can enroll in Additional Life online through Standard Insurance’s website, https://standard.benselect.com/sanjoseca.
Spouse/Domestic Partner Life Insurance (Employee Paid)
All eligible, active employees may apply for Spouse/Domestic Partner coverage in increments of $10,000 up to maximum of $250,000, but not to exceed 100% of your combined Basic and Additional Life coverage amount. Eligibility is based upon medical underwriting approval as determined by Standard Insurance. Premiums for this insurance are paid through regular payroll deductions. Employees can enroll in Spouse/Domestic Partner Life online through Standard Insurance’s website, https://standard.benselect.com/sanjoseca.
Dependent Life Insurance (Employee Paid)
All eligible, active employees may apply for Dependent Life coverage amounts of either $5,000 or $10,000. There are no medical underwriting requirements for child coverage. Employees can enroll in Dependents Life online through Standard Insurance’s website, https://standard.benselect.com/sanjoseca.
Open Enrollment Increase
Each year during the City's Open Enrollment period employees can increase their Additional Life (Vantage Plan only) insurance coverage by $10,000 with no medical questions asked. Coverage increases can be requested online through Standard Insurance’s website, https://standard.benselect.com/sanjoseca.
Life Insurance Retirement Provisions
Retired City employees have three options for life insurance. In all cases, the employee must submit their application to Standard Insurance no later than 31 days of retiring.
- Option 1: Retired City employees may purchase a lesser amount of life insurance through the City's group policy. The value of the coverage declines in steps during the period of retirement:
- Non-Management: Life insurance coverage drops to $5,000 upon retirement. At age 65, it drops to $2,500.
- Management: Life insurance coverage drops to $20,000 upon retirement. At age 65, it drops to $10,000; and at age 70, it drops to $5,000.
Dependents Life: Employees may choose the Dependents Life insurance option of $1,000 coverage (may not exceed 50% of employee’s amount).
- Option 2: Employees may port Life Insurance up to the lesser of (a) the amount of Basic Life plus Additional Life in force on the retiree’s last day of work or (b) $300,000. The employee may also port Spouse and Child’s coverage (maximum is the amount in effect on the employee’s last day of work).
- To be eligible for this option, the Employee must be:
- Under age 70
- Must have had insurance for at least 12 months
- Must be able to work in one occupation
- If porting dependent’s coverage, must port own coverage
- To be eligible for this option, the Employee must be:
- Option 3: Employees may convert Life insurance for employee and dependents (amount as of the employee’s last day of work) to an individual policy.
Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Coverage
As part of the City’s life insurance group policy with Standard Insurance, eligible employees are automatically enrolled with AD&D insurance at no additional cost.
If an eligible employee loses their life in an accident (or life is lost within 365 days due to injuries from an accident) the beneficiary will be paid an added amount equal to the face value of the life insurance (basic plus additional) in addition to the life insurance benefit.
Eligible employees will be paid one-half (1/2) the face value of their life insurance (basic plus supplemental) for the loss of one hand, one foot, or the sight of one eye. The face value of the life insurance coverage (basic plus additional) will be paid for the loss of two or more of the following: hand, foot, or eyesight.
Employees should review their life insurance beneficiaries after any major life event (birth, death, marriage, divorce, etc.) to ensure that the appropriate individuals will receive their life insurance benefits. Employees can update life insurance beneficiary designations anytime via the Standard Insurance website available at https://standard.benselect.com/sanjoseca.
When Coverage Terminates
If an employee leaves City employment current Life and AD&D insurance coverage is portable, meaning there will be an option to convert life insurance coverage to an individual whole life insurance policy. The application to port or convert life insurance must be completed within thirty-one (31) days of the employee's last day of employment with the City. After thirty-one (31) days eligibility for this benefit ends.
For more information about life insurance, email Human Resources - Employee Benefits at HRBenefits@sanjoseca.gov.