Group #: 282971
Phone: (855) 579-1879
Optional long-term disability (LTD) insurance is provided through the City’s group policy with The Standard Insurance Company.
Employees should note that the City does not contribute to State Disability Insurance (SDI). City of San Jose employees are not covered under California State Disability Insurance programs. The City’s LTD insurance policy covers employees for up to two thirds of their gross monthly salary if they become unable to work due to work or non-work related disabilities. This coverage is in lieu of SDI and is 100% employee paid.
Individuals may select between two plans. The two plans provide identical benefits, with the following exceptions:
- LTD-30 Plan: If an individual elects coverage under the LTD-30 Plan and becomes disabled, benefits begin after 30 days of continuous disability. There is no preexisting condition exclusion under this plan, and there is no requirement to participate in a rehabilitation plan.
- LTD-60 Plan: If an individual elects coverage under the LTD-60 Plan and becomes disabled, benefits begin after 60 days of continuous disability. The individual will be subject to a preexisting condition exclusion under this plan, and may be required to participate in a rehabilitation plan if able to do so.
- LTD Brochure
- LTD Certificate
- LTD Evidence of Insurability (EEOI)
- LTD Claims Frequently Asked Questions
- LTD Frequently Asked Questions - Maternity
Enrollment Form - This enrollment form can be used for enrolling in the LTD plans if there is a mid year qualifying event or for switching from the LTD-30 plan to the LTD-60 plan at any time.
Medical History Statement - Used for enrolling outside of an employee's 30 day benefits eligibility window, the Medical History Statement can be mailed directly to Standard Insurance at the address in the top right corner of the page. Keep a copy for your records.
Filing A Claim
An employee may complete the claim telephonically (preferred method) or online.
- To file telephonically please call Standard Insurance toll free (855) 579-1879
- To file online please visit www.standard.com and click on "File a Group Insurance Claim".
Please Note: Human Resources provides the "Employer Statement' portion of the claim to Standard electronically.
Full-time (except Temporary Unclassified) and part-time benefited employees may enroll themselves in one of the City’s long-term disability plans. Eligible employees who wish to enroll in LTD without medical underwriting must elect coverage at New Hire. If eligible emp;employee applies for coverage after the initial new hire election event, coverage will be subject to medical underwriting and may be denied.
Employee contribution amounts are subject to change each year in January in accordance with contract renewals. Employee contributions toward monthly premiums are calculated as a percentage of annual salary and will vary. Please refer to page 8 in the LTD Brochure for details.
For information about Long Term Disability contact Human Resources - Employee Benefits at HRBenefits@sanjoseca.gov.