Group #: OK10280
The City of San José offers voluntary Personal Accident Insurance is available through the City’s group policy with the Life Insurance Company of North America (also referred to as Cigna). The insurance is 100% employee paid and can help protect families from financial hardship by paying a specified benefit amount upon death or serious injury due to a covered accident.
Cigna accident insurance benefits include:
- Additional benefits include, but are not limited to, rehabilitation, hospital stays, bereavement and trauma counseling, spouse job training, child care and identity theft protection.
- Coverage is available for dependent spouses and children.
- Filling critical gaps in coverage and unexpected expenses not covered by other insurance benefits, such as life, disability, health or workers' compensation.
- Guaranteed issue coverage - no medical underwriting is required.
- Payable benefits for living events such as dismemberment, paralysis and coma.
- Protection against accidents anywhere in the world, on or off the job, on business, on vacation, and at home.
Please Note: Illnesses are not covered.
Value Added Programs
All full-time and permanent benefited part-time employees are eligible for this insurance. You may insure yourself, using the Employee Only plan, or you may insure you and your family members under the Family Plan if:
- Your spouse (or domestic partner) is under age 70.
- Your dependent children (including step, foster, legally adopted children, and children of your domestic partner) are unmarried and less than 19 years old.
- Your dependent children (including step, foster, or legally adopted children) are unmarried, under age 24, and qualify as full-time students.
No person may be covered more than once under this plan. If you are covered as an employee, you cannot be covered as a spouse, domestic partner, or dependent child of another employee. Dependents are covered at specified percentages of employee’s coverage.
Please refer to the Certificate of Insurance available above for more detail regarding coverage provisions and exclusions.
Employee monthly premiums are calculated based on rates per $10,000 of coverage purchased. Current cost and benefit information can be found in the plan brochure.
How to Enroll
Employees have two options for enrollment:
- Enroll via eWay as a new hire or newly benefited employee.
- Complete the enrollment form. Be sure to indicate the amount of insurance you want and the plan you want: Employee Only or Family Plan. Return the form to Employee Benefits in Human Resources (City Hall Tower, 4th Floor) or e-mail for assistance.
No underwriting information is required. Benefited employees are guaranteed coverage. Consequently, employees may apply for Personal Accident Insurance, increase the amount of coverage, or change plan selection at any time without having to obtain approval from the Life Insurance Company of North America.
Reductions in Coverage
Coverage is reduced at age 70. Coverage for your spouse terminates when he or she reaches age 70, when your coverage terminates, or when he or she is no longer eligible, whichever occurs first. Coverage for your dependent children terminates when your coverage terminates, or when they no longer qualify as dependents.
Review your Personal Accident Insurance beneficiaries after any major life event (birth, death, marriage, divorce, etc.) to ensure that the appropriate individuals will receive the insurance benefits in the case of a qualifying event. Beneficiary changes must be completed online through eWay.
When Coverage Terminates
Coverage will terminate when you leave City employment, cease to be eligible, or fail to remit premium. Coverage for your spouse terminates when he or she reaches age 70 or ceases to qualify as a legal spouse. Child dependent coverage will terminate when they cease to be eligible as a qualified dependent (see the Eligibility section above).
If you leave City employment before you reach age 70, you may keep this insurance policy by converting your coverage to an individual policy. You pay the premium in effect for your age and occupation as of your last day of employment with the City. Refer to the Policy Conversion Application above for more information.
For questions or assistance, contact Human Resources - Employee Benefits at HRBenefits@sanjoseca.gov.