Hours of Operation
One hour before sunrise, one hour after sunset.
- Maximum speed is 15 mph (municipal code section 13.44.100)
- Bicyclists yield to pedestrians
- Bicyclists obey all traffic rules (vehicle code section 21201)
- Picnic in designated areas only
- Clean up after pets *
- Dogs on short 6' leash and under owner's control at all times
- Dogs must be kept to right of trail's centerline
- No fires, alcohol, or smoking
- No motorized vehicles (except motorized mobility devices)
- No boating, fishing or swimming
- No camping
- No trespassing on adjacent lands
- When biking, headphones or similar devices only cover one ear
- All other San José Municipal Code and state laws shall apply to our trails
- Trail Rules Posted Sign
* Note: Dogs and pets are not permitted within Alum Rock Park. The park offers great access to natural and open spaces with a wide variety of wildlife ranging from small rodents, birds, turkeys, bobcats and mountain lions. The prohibition is for your safety and that of your pet and the park's wildlife.
State of California Law
State Law requires that minors wear a helmet when riding along a trail. Watch video instruction on proper fitting of a helmet.
Bicycles riders (cyclists) on public streets have the same rights and responsibilities as automobile drivers and are subject to the same rules and regulations as any other vehicle on the road. Visit the DMV website to learn safety tips for bicyclists and motorists.
- Read California Vehicle Code Excerpts Regarding Bicycling
- Learn More About New California State Law that Permits Use of Type 1 and Type 2 E-Bikes Upon Class I Trails
- Concerns and complaints can be reported to (408) 793-5510 or
- My San Jose App found on iTunes or Google Play
- For emergencies, call 911 or 1-408-277-8911 (from cellular phone)
- Report graffiti to 1-866-249-0543, email photos to firstname.lastname@example.org, or download "My San José" smart phone app at the iTunes Store