200 E. Santa Clara St.
Tower, 2nd Floor
San José, CA 95113-1905
Hours of Service
2019 California Building Codes Go into Effect January 1, 2020
The California Building Standards Commission updates the State building codes (California Code of Regulations, CCR, Title 24) every three years. The 2019 codes were published on July 1, 2019 and become applicable to all building permit applications made on or after January 1, 2020.
The updated codes adopted by the City of San José are:
- 2019 California Building Code - CCR Title 24 Part 2
- 2019 California Residential Code - CCR Title 24 Part 2.5
- 2019 California Electrical Code - CCR Title 24 Part 3
- 2019 California Mechanical Code - CCR Title 24 Part 4
- 2019 California Plumbing Code - CCR Title 24 Part 5
- 2019 California Historical Building Code - CCR Title 24 Part 8
- 2019 California Existing Building Code - CCR Title 24 Part 10
The reach codes for the following codes are available on the 2019 Reach Code Initiative web page.
- 2019 California Building Energy Efficiency Standards
- 2019 California Green Building Standards Code
The 2016 and 2019 building codes can be viewed at the Building Standards Commission web page.
Changes to the San José Municipal Code can be viewed in the amended ordinance to adopt the 2019 California Codes.