Electronic plan review can save time and resources. For a successful eplan submittal, follow these format requirements. An electronic plan review will not commence until the submittal meets these requirements.
Bring the following non-returnable items to your scheduled meeting at the Permit Center.
- USB drive or CD/DVD with files of the project drawings and support documents as follows:
- Place all files on the root folder; do not use sub-folders.
- Only files for the current submittal are to be provided. For example, if your project is a resubmittal, do not include files from the original submission.
Follow the formatting requirements outlined below:
- PDF or PDF/A - Digital documents must be PDF (portable document format) or PDF/A, compatible with Adobe Acrobat Version 9.0 or higher.
- Exported PDFs required for most projects - An exported PDF from the native file, not a scan saved as a PDF, is required for most projects. PDFs of scanned documents are accepted only for single-family additions or alterations, in which case, scan the hard copy plan at 150dpi minimum and 300dpi maximum to achieve an acceptable legbility and file size.
- Separate sub-trade PDFs - Create a separate PDF for each sub-trade or plan review item; see page 2.
- Unsecured setting - Choose “unsecured” on your security settings so that plan reviewers may mark up the documents or create notes.
- Landscape orientation - All drawings must uniformly use landscape orientation. Maintain a uniform page position for all files in the submittal.
- 6x6-inch stamp space on Cover Sheet - Provide a 6 x 6-inch clear space on the cover sheet for jurisdiction approval stamps.
- 3x3-inch stamp space on each drawing sheet - Provide a 3” x 3” clear space for jurisdiction approval stamp on the lower right quadrant in the same location of the title block.
- Scale, legibility and legends - Plans shall be to scale, fully dimensioned, and legible:
- Text prints at minimum 10pt font size - Use a legible font, equivalent or better than Arial, Gill Sans or Tahoma, set at minimum 10pt when printed.
- Use symbols and grayscale, not color - Do not use color to differentiate items on the plans; instead use symbols, hatches, line-type, and line-weights to relay information. Include a legend that defines all symbols. Plans shall be legible when set to print in grayscale
- Index Sheet and Indexed Pages - Provide an Index Sheet that summarizes all the documents in the submittal. Index/bookmark the pages within the PDF. The index should note the sheet number as well as the title/description of each sheet.
File Naming Conventions
Use these conventions for naming all files. Use uppercase and hyphens (up to three hyphens allowed), not spaces, in the name.
S# - This is the submission number where S1 = first submittal; S2 = second submittal for a resubmittal or revision; each subsequent resubmittal becomes S3, S4, S5 etc.
Discipline - This is the abbreviation for trade plans or area of review as applicable to your project:
- AC = Architectural Plan PB = Plumbing Plan
- ST = Structural Plan PL = Planning Division review
- EC = Electrical Plan FE = Fire review (Bureau of Fire Prevention)
- ME = Mechanical Plan PW = Public Works Department review
Folder# - Permit center staff will assign you a Folder Number when you submit an Electronic Plan Review Application.
Descriptor - At the end of the name, you may include a word or combination word to describe the file further. For example, “Foundationcalcs” might be added to a file that shows the foundation engineering calculations. Do not uses spaces in the descriptor.
Here are more examples of file names followed by how they are decoded:
- S1-ME-12345678.pdf - First Submittal, Mechanical Plan, Folder Number, no descriptor added
- S1-AC-12345678-Ref_Grading.pdf - First Submittal, Structural Plan, Folder Number, descriptor for Grading Plan is added
- S2-FE-12345678-Hazmat.pdf - Second Submittal, Fire Review, Folder number, descriptor for Hazmat is added
- S3-EC-12345678-EVC.pdf - Third Submittal, Electrical Plan, Folder Number, descriptor for an Electrical Vehicle Charger plan is added
Remember: Do not use more than three hyphens and do not use a space between words the Descriptor.
The PDF version of the Electronic Plan Review Requirements is available for download.