Complete sets of plans and calculations for the entire building shall be submitted to the Building Division for review prior to the commencement of the “Foundation Only” process. The foundation and the superstructure are considered as one plan review. Responses to plan check comments shall address all corrections and clarifications requested, whether regarding the foundation or the superstructure. The request for a “Foundation Only” will be considered on a case by case basis and only when the plans examiner concurs that all plan check concerns regarding the construction of the foundation have been sufficiently addressed.
The following additional items are required when a foundation only permit is requested:
- A statement of scope of work on the cover sheet of the plans, clearly specifying the limits of foundation only construction. (i.e., if structural slabs and walls for a subterranean garage are to be included, it shall clearly be stated on the drawings).
- Complete foundation drawings include all trades associated with the foundation portion of the structure, and relevant details related to these items as specified in the scope of work. All applicable loads (vertical and lateral, including overturning) shall be specified on the drawings for each element of the foundation (i.e. at each spread footing, wall, holdown anchor, etc.).
- Accompanying calculations for the design of each element of the foundation.
- Provide a complete site plan with all property lines and recorded easements indicated. Include complete floor plans for all levels of the building above the foundation with a note identifying them as “for reference only”. (Other sheets of the drawings should be excluded from the set or shall clearly be denoted as “omitted” or “for reference only”.)
- A completed “Request for Foundation Only Permit” form.
- The following clearances and /or permits are required prior to the issuance of the foundation only permit:
(Plans examiner to mark which boxes are applicable)
- Planning Department clearance.
- Public Works Department grading and development clearance or an acknowledgement/memo indicating approval.
- Site and underground utilities (plumbing and/or electrical) permit.
- Completed special inspection form.
- Fire Department acknowledgement /memo to release the foundation only permit.
- Letter from the soils engineer indicating his review and approval of the foundation design.
Download and fill out the Request for Foundation Only Permit form.