Before you begin a demolition of a swimming pool, take these required steps:
- Obtain a building permit.
- Obtain clearance from the Planning Division if the pool is shared by a residential community. Call the Permit Center at 408-535-3555 and ask to speak with a planner.
- Prepare to properly recyle the demolition debris, following the requirements of the Construction & Demolition Diversion (CDD) Program managed by the City’s Environmental Services Department. Call 408-535-8550 for more information.
Complete a Building Permit Application and submit it with a Plot Plan that clearly shows:
- Location of the pool area to be demolished and setbacks to property lines.
- Distance to nearby remaining structures, such as detached garage, septic tank, or other accessory structure. Label all the structures.
- Non-Build-able Area - If the post-demolition area is to become a non-build-able area, delineate the non-build-able area on the Plot Plan.
- Build-able Area - If the post-demolition area is to become build-able, you must provide the following two items:
- A Demolition, Drainage, and Compaction Plan prepared and wet stamped by a state-licensed engineer
- A completed Special Inspection Form that designates the supervising engineer or Special Inspection Agency that will both conduct the backfill compaction observation and provide a compaction report to the Building Division, declaring the abated area as build-able.
Pool Utility Requirements
The natural gas line and electrical wiring serving the pool and pool equipment must be capped off as part of the demolition process. This step will be verified during inspection.
A PDF handout version of this information is available on our Building Handouts and Forms page.