This service is for:
- retail, restaurants, offices, and other commercial/industrial projects
- projects with structural changes, code compliance cases, and certain installations
Staff experts review projects that involve structural changes in all Plan Review service levels. Express Plan Review provides concurrent review of plans with all involved City staff (Planning, Building, Public Works, and Fire Prevention) and any professional designers in one meeting for a time-saving review. The fee is 1.5 times the regular plan review fee. For projects on tight deadlines, you can opt for Enhanced Express for a higher fee and obtain even faster service.
Projects that Qualify
|Project||Plan Review||Express Plan Review||Enhanced Express Option|
|Retail tenant improvement||any size||Total floor area is less than 1,500 sf||Total floor area is less than 10,000 sf|
|Office/R&D tenant improvement||any size||Total floor area is less than 10,000 sf||Total floor area is less than 20,000 sf
|Restaurant tenant improvement||any size||Dining area is less than 750 sf;
Scope limited to customer area
|No change in use.
No increase in assembly or square footage.
Requires prior County Health Department and Regional Wastewater Facility approvals.
|Code compliance cases||yes||-||-|
|Cell site installations||yes||-||Battery electrolyte is less than 50 gallens; battery systyem must be exterior; no HazMat|
|Rooftop mechanical units||yes||-||Maximum 2,000 lbs; maximum 2,00 CFM;
To Use Regular Plan Review
First, talk to a planner and make sure your project obtains any necessary clearances from the Planning Division and Public Works Department. For example, these might include:
- Zoning clearances or use permits from the Planning Division.
- Any right of way use or changes need a Public Works clearance.
- Restaurants will need clearances from the County Health Department and Regional Wastewater Facility.
Then, come to the Permit Center and bring:
- A completed Building Permit Application
- Project plans; they do not have to be professionally drawn, but they must be accurate.
To Use Express or Enhanced Express Plan Review
Call the Permit Center at 408-535-3555 to make an appointment for a time to meet with City staff to review accurately prepared plans.
See the list of the forms and information that support most Commercial / Industrial projects that will undergo Plan Review on the Commercial / Industrial Buildings page.