Residential Plan Review is a permit service that benefits single-family and multifamily projects by providing expert review of projects to ensure compliance with building and safety codes.
This service is for:
- additions greater than 500 sf
- remodeling projects with structural changes
- new construction
- secondary units (accessory dwelling units)
- code compliance cases
Visit our Over-The-Counter permit service page for smaller projects and those not involving structural changes.
Projects that Qualify
||Plan Review||Express Plan Review|
|New construction||any size||-|
|Single story additions over 500 sf||any size||750 sf or less|
|Two-story remodeling||any size||750 sf or less and only minor structural calculations
|Secondary or accessory dwelling units
|Code Compliance Cases||any size||-|
|No Appointment Needed||Appointment Required
To Use Regular Plan Review
First, talk to a Planner and make sure your project obtains any necessary clearances from the Planning Division and Public Works. Such clearances might include:
- Single-family homes - Check if your project will require a Single-Family House Permit, either because of size of the project or because the property is registered as historical.
- Duplex homes - All projects must go through Planning review prior to submitting a building permit application.
After securing any needed clearances, come to the Permit Center and bring:
- A completed Building Permit Application
- A completed Single-Family/Duplex Project Submittal Form
- Accurate project plans. Some plans do not have to be professionally drawn, but they must be accurate.
To Use Express or Enhanced Express Plan Review
Express Plan Review provides concurrent review of plans with all involved City staff (Planning, Building, Public Works, and Fire Prevention) and any involved professional designers in one meeting for a time-saving review. The fee is 1.5 times the regular plan review fee. Call the Permit Center to make an appointment for a time to meet with City staff to review accurately prepared plans.
See the list of the forms and information for: