COVID-19 PROCEDURE: City Hall is closed to the public. Code Enforcement is responding only to emergency service requests. Please use the form at http://www.sanjoseca.gov/requestcodeservice. Emergency conditions include:
- Imminent hazards to health and safety in housing or buildings
- Sewage leak in yard creating public risk
- In-progress removal of ordinance-size trees
- Swimming pools without secure fencing
- Unsecured refrigerators left outside
- Vacant, unsecured buildings
Stay informed! Subscribe to the PBCE e-newsletter.
We work in partnership with the people of San José to promote and maintain a safe, desirable living and working environment. This work happens in these three ways:
- We administer a fair, unbiased enforcement program to correct violations of municipal codes and land use requirements.
- We work with residents, neighborhood associations, public service agencies, and other City of San José departments to:
- Empower community self-help programs.
- Develop public outreach programs.
- Establish community priorities for the enforcement program.
- We initiate special programs targeted toward specific problems in our community.
overview of services