200 E. Santa Clara St. 4th Floor
San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: (408) 535-7770
8:00am - 12:00pm
1:00pm - 5:00pm
Closed: Noon - 1:00pm
Code Enforcement Services Brochure
The Code Enforcement Division provides compliance services to San José residents, businesses, and property owners that support a safe, healthy and attractive community.
Commonly requested compliance services are as follows:
Common Code Violations
- Blighted and unmaintained properties
- Hazardous or overgrown vegetation
- Unsecured vacant buildings
- Building Code violations
- Construction or change of occupancy without permits.
- Visible storage of junk and debris in the front of residential properties
- Disruptive and illegal businesses in neighborhoods
- Early setout of garbage and recycling
- Signs in the public right-of-way, that don't comply with code, or that lack a permit
- Inoperable or abandoned vehicles on private property
- Zoning requirement violations for structures and land use requirements, including the use of the structure, location, configuration and size.
- Parking violations on unimproved surfaces. Unimproved surfaces include but are not limited to: lawns, dirt, gravel, and plywood.
- Graffiti on private property
- Substandard housing conditions
- Smoking in bars and restaurant
- Smoking in unapproved outdoor areas
Issues that are NOT Code Violations
- Civil disputes between private parties
- Personal grievances
- Vehicles or RVs abandoned or illegally parked on the street.To submit a concern about an abandoned vehicle, report the abandoned vehicle through San José 311.