The Hanchett and Hester Park City Conservation Area consists of two adjacent neighborhoods that are generally bounded by Magnolia Street to the north, The Alameda to the east, Park Avenue to the west, and Mariposa Avenue to the south. Hanchett and Hester Park were designed by John McLaren (1846-1943), the designer of San Francisco's Golden Gate Park.
Hanchett Park, originally part of the fairgrounds, was surveyed in 1906 and opened in 1907. The Hester District dates to 1893 and included the former Gardner District (annexed 1911). The Hester-Hanchett-College Park district was annexed to the City of San José in 1925. These mostly single family residences date from ca. 1906 to 1935 and include Queen Anne, Craftsman Bungalow, and Spanish Mission Colonial Revival styles as well as several Prairie style in Hanchett Park. The Hanchett Park neighborhood retains some of the best mix of Prairie, Spanish Revival and, Craftsman residences in San José. In addition, Martin Avenue between Park Avenue and The Alameda includes City of San José Heritage Trees - 80 Mexican Fan Palms (Washingtonia robusta; (HG-06-007).