All fencing must comply with Section 20.30.600 of the San Jose Municipal Code.
Fences on Single-Family Properties
- Do not require a building permit, if complying with the height limitations:
- 3 feet in height in front yard
- 7 feet in height in side and rear yards
- For corner lots, see the diagram on the Fence and Retaining Wall Requirements bulletin.
- For unusually shaped lots or Planned Development (PD) zones; please consult with a Planner as these may have different requirements.
Fences on Multifamily, Commercial, and Industrial Properties
- Require Planning Division design review as part of a Development Permit or Permit Adjustment application.
- Require a building permit and plan review.
Retaining Walls and Swimming Pool Enclosures
- Retaining walls and swimming pool/spa enclosures have separate requirements. Refer to:
- Bulletin #269-Fence and Retaining Wall Requirements
- Bulletin #287-Swimming Pools and Spas Setback Enclosure Requirements
- For questions on retaining walls and pool enclosures, call the Building Division at 408-535-3555.
For More Information
- Speak with a Planner at 408-535-3555 - view Planning Phone Service hours