The following guides provide information about the regulations and permit process for various types of uses and development proposals.
- Arcades and Poolrooms
- Child Care
- Special Use and Conditional Use Permits
- Conducting a Business in Your Home
- Environmental Review Process
- Fencing Requirements
- Front Setback Paving Ordinance
- Lawn Parking Ordinance
- Legal Nonconforming Use
- Post-Construction Stormwater Runoff Management
- Projects that Need a Single-Family House Permit
- Site Development Permit Process
- Specific Plan Process
- Tentative Map
- Zoning Process
Introduction to Planning
Planning in San José: A Community Guide offers an introduction to land use planning and development for persons unfamiliar with the process in the city, as well as for those already acquainted with the practice who want to learn more. It is a resource for residents, business owners, and property owners, as well as for developers interested in building in San José.
This guide is also available in Spanish: Planificación en San José: Una Guía Para la Comunidad.