Yes, we have a new look.

Welcome to the City of San José's new digital front door!

Contact Us

Public Works
Development Services
200 E. Santa Clara St.
San Jose, CA 95113

Development Related Inquires:

Phone: (408) 535-3555

Staff Directory

Encroachment Permits


Encroachment Permits are issued to private developers or residents to perform work in the City of San José right-of-way.  There are several different types of encroachment permits that are issued by the Development Services Division of Public Works.  Encroachment permits typically require a plan showing the work proposed, as well as fees and surety to insure the completion of the work. We have permits for the following activities:

Revocable Encroachment – There are two types of Revocable Encroachments. These are:

  • Encroachment for construction within the public right-of-way: Used primarily for the installation of groundwater monitoring wells, crane construction, covered walkways, temporary traffic lane closures and soil sampling. See Municipal Code Section 13.36.
  • Encroachment for Private Improvements within the public right-of-way: Used for the long term use of the public right-of-way such as balconies, roof overhangs, bay windows, architectural features, footings, etc. These encroachments must be consistent with applicable City of San Jose Municipal Codes and State and Federal Laws. See Municipal Code Section 13.37.

Sanitary/Storm Sewer Lateral – for construction of a new connection to the City sanitary sewer or storm drainage system.

Private Utility / Joint Trench – for future utility company infrastructure constructed in the public right-of-way by private contractors working for a developer or property owner. If the franchised utility company is doing the work, then a permit will be issued by the Utilities Section.

Driveway / Sidewalk – for new driveways or sidewalk for single family homes.  For repairs to existing sidewalk or to remove and replace an existing driveway in the same location contact the Department of Transportation at (408) 794-1901. 


For specific requirements for each encroachment permit type visit our Applications, Instructions and Resources page.

If you are a public utility company (i.e. PG&E, AT&T, etc.) or another governmental agency (Caltrans, VTA, SCVWD, etc.), please go to our Utilities Section website for permit application information.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer