Prior to starting the application process, make sure you have read through, completed and have the following prior to submitting the online Application:
- Electronic copy of Commercial General Liability insurance and endorsements meeting requirements in the Resources section below.
- Your City Business License Number.
- Read the appropriate Terms and Conditions in the Resources section below.
- Al Fresco Parklet/Sidewalk Permit Application
- Al Fresco Parklet Regulations
- Al Fresco Parklet Terms and Conditions
- Al Fresco Sidewalk Seating Terms and Conditions
- Insurance requirements
- City Business License Number Lookup
- San Jose Al Fresco FAQ's
- Para obtener información o asistencia en español, comuníquese con Jose Oropeza al 408-793-6905.
- Để biết thông tin hoặc hỗ trợ bằng tiếng Việt, xin vui lòng liên lạc Bichson Nguyen ở 408-975-7426.
- For Parklet and other Sidewalk Seating see the Encroachment Permits Section on this page.
- For Al Fresco Seating on Private Property please see the Economic Development Page for more information.
Application & Instructions
Note: Projects that propose lane closures (parking or traveled lanes) will need a lane closure approval from the Department of Transportation (DOT). For parking closures Tow-Away Permit is also needed from DOT. These permits/approvals are needed in addition to the Encroachment permit from the Department of Public Works. Please visit the DOT Permits page for more information on how to apply.
Parklet / Sidewalk Seating:
- Arterial Street Classification List for Fee Calculation
- Traffic Control Plan Requirements
- Sanitary Sewer Lateral Detail
Note: If you are a Public Utility Company (i.e. AT&T, PG&E, etc.) or Governmental Agency (Caltrans, VTA, SCVWD, etc.) contact the Utilities Section at (408) 975-7455 for information on how to apply for your construction permit.
- Grading Permit Application
- Grading Permit Instructions
- Shoring Design Instructions
- Grading Permit Submittal Checklist
- Grading Plans CAD Coversheet
- Grading Plans PDF Coversheet
- Request for SECI Inspection
- Hydrant Water Exception Application (if using fire hydrant water for grading and/or construction)
- Recycled Water Fill Stations Map
- Haul Route Permit - If the proposed project is importing and exporting more than 10,000 cubic yards. Obtained from the Department of Transportation.
- Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting Program (MMRP) Instructions - Submit the required documents, as identified by your Planning Permit, to the Planning Environmental Team concurrently with your Grading Permit Application.
Geologic and Geohazard Resources
- Geologic Hazard Clearance Application
- Geologic Testing Application
- Geologic and Seismic Hazard Clearance Instructions
Erosion Control Resources
Entitlement & Design Resources
- Stormwater Regulations Handout
- Stormwater Control Plan Checklists:
- Treatment Control Measure Summary Table
- Private Development C3 CAD Standard Details and Notes
- Private Development C3 PDF Standard Details and Notes
- Recommended Plant List for City Maintained Bio-retention Facilities
- Approved Media Filters for Special Projects
- Storm Water Filters Installed Within Buildings (Directive P-005)
- Planning Division Stormwater Resources
- Sample Stormwater Treatment Control Plans (Planning Entitlement)
Stormwater Treatment Calculators
- Flow-Combo Sizing Method Calculation Spreadsheet
- Volume Calculation (Pervious Pavers - Self Retaining)
- Media Filter Sizing Calculator
Parcel / Tract Maps
- Parcel Map Application
- Parcel Map Instructions
- Tract Map Application
- Tract Map Instructions
- Parcel / Tract Map Preparation & Submittal Checklist
- Sample Map Statements
- Certificate of Correction to Recorded Map Template
- Monument Bond Release Form
Street & Easement Vacations
Preparation & Submittal
- Public Street Permit Application
- Public Improvement Plan Instructions
- Public Improvement Plan Submittal Checklist
- Public Street Engineers Estimate
- Public Street Plans CAD Coversheet
- Public Street Plans PDF Coversheet
- Signature Authority Instructions
Construction Agreement and Bonds
Note: These documents are provided for informational purposes only. Public Works Development Services staff will provide the final Agreement for execution.
- Landscape Design and Construction Guidelines
- Landscape Plans 1st Review Submittal Checklist
- Landscape Plans 2nd+ Review Submittal Checklist
- South Bay Water Recycling Plan Submittal Checklist
- Landscape Plan Title Block CAD File
- Landscape Plan Title Block PDF
- Landscape Plan Details & Specifications CAD File
- Landscape Plan Details & Specifications PDF File
- Traffic Signal Instructions
- Traffic Signal Submittal Checklist
- Traffic Signal Design Notes
- Traffic Signal Plans CAD Sheets
- Traffic Signal Plans PDF Sheets
- Traffic Signal Sample Plan Example
- Controller Cabinet TS2-1 Specifications (Standard Use)
- Controller Cabinet TS-1 Specifications (Special Use)
- Vehicle Detection Loop Layout Guideline
- Downtown Frame and Core Google Earth file
Department of Transportation
Environmental Services (ESD)
Parks and Recreation Neighborhood Services (PRNS)
To view sample plans or maps that we have approved in the recent past please visit our Sample Plans page. These plans and maps should be used to assist with the formatting and content of plan or map submissions.