Yes, we have a new look.

Welcome to the City of San José's new digital front door!

Contact Us

Public Works
Utilities Section
200 E. Santa Clara St.
San Jose, CA 95113

Phone: (408) 975-7455

Staff Directory


The Utilities Section of Public Works is responsible for the plan review and permit issuance for utility company infrastructure.  This infrastructure includes such items as pipes, poles, transformers, conduits, cabinets, underground vaults, and other facilities that are constructed within City streets and sidewalks.

Inter-Agency Construction or Encroachment permits are issued for applications made by staff, agents and/or contractors working directly for another governmental agency.

When the public utility company allows a private developer/customer to perform some of the work in the right-of-way a private utility permit would need to be obtained by the private developer or customer.  This permit, which authorizes the work in the right-of-way, is issued by the Development Services Division of Public Works. In these instances both the utility company and the developer/customer would need their own utility permits to work in the Public right-of-way.