Yes, we have a new look.

Welcome to the City of San José's new digital front door!

Contact Us

Public Works
Utilities Section
200 E. Santa Clara St.
San Jose, CA 95113

Phone: (408) 975-7455

Staff Directory

The Utilities Section of Public Works is responsible for the plan review and permit issuance for utility company infrastructure with the City of San José.  The utility companies we issue permits to include:

We are also responsible for the plan review and permit issuance for construction projects for other Governmental Agencies within the City of San José jurisdiction.  Agencies we routinely work with include:

  • Caltrans (State of California Department of Transportation)
  • VTA (Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority)
  • SCVWD (Santa Clara Valley Water District)
  • County of Santa Clara 
  • Neighboring Cities (Campbell, Milpitas, Santa Clara, Town of Los Gatos, etc.)

Private developers, property owners, or their contractors/consultants, who need an encroachment permit to work or place facilities in the Public Right-of-Way, must obtain a permit from the Development Services Division of Public Works. Please contact Development Services to obtain the appropriate Private Utility, Sanitary/Storm Lateral or Encroachment permit for your proposed work.