Department of Transportation
200 E. Santa Clara St.
San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: (408) 535-3850
Fax: (408) 292-6092
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Plan, develop, operate, and maintain transportation facilities, services, and related systems that contribute to the livability and economic health of the city.
Our goal is to provide a transportation system that is safe, efficient, and convenient for all modes of transportation, and which supports San José’s livability and economic vitality.
San José has adopted bold policy goals to be a leading city in the areas of environmental sustainability, innovation and fiscal efficiency. We develop programs to:
- Continuously improve transportation system safety.
- Increase travel by walking, biking and transit.
- Reduce transportation-related energy use and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Enhance and beautify our environment with more street trees.
- Pursue adequate funding for our aging infrastructure.
We have over 450 employees and provide services through various partnerships involving the private sector, non-profit organizations, maintenance districts, business districts, neighborhood associations, and individuals in the community. We rely on the community to help keep our infrastructure safe and in good condition. Some things that you can do to help are:
- Report traffic signal problems, streetlight outages, potholes, and sewer overflows.
- Keep sidewalks and street trees at your property in good condition.
- Stay alert and follow traffic rules when driving, biking and walking.
- Maintains the street pavement, sidewalks, traffic devices, streetlights, sanitary sewer and storm drainage systems.
- Manages the City's street sweeping program, nonpoint source pollution, and street landscape, including City street trees and undeveloped rights of way.
Transportation and Parking Operations
- Optimizes the traffic flow, installs traffic improvements, and promotes traffic safety.
- Manages on-street parking, city garages and parking lots, parking compliance and vehicle abatement.
Transportation Planning and Project Delivery
- Works with other City divisions and departments as well as with regional transportation agencies in order to offer viable transportation choices that are multi modal and provide a safe and efficient commute.
Director's Office / Administration Services
- Provides leadership and management for the department and works with the city manager as needed on high-level transportation issues.
- Manages personnel, employee safety and training, the department's budget/fiscal program, and the information technology needs of the department.