Department of Transportation
200 E. Santa Clara St.
San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: (408) 535-3850
Fax: (408) 292-6092
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
We have participated in several grants to support the City’s efforts to purchase electric vehicles and install electric vehicle charging infrastructure.
- 53 EV charging stations in operation, primarily in downtown public parking garages
- Santa Clara Street between 4th and 5th Streets
- Downtown garages: City Hall, Convention Center, 4th & San Fernando, 4th & St. John, Market & San Pedro Square, 2nd & San Carlos, & Third Street. Surface Lot: Woz & Almaden Blvd. (Please visit the Downtown parking website to view a map of these facilities)
- San José’s Environmental Innovation Center (1608 Las Plumas Ave)
Charging Stations Rates
- The rate to charge is $1.25 per session and $0.25 per kWh during the day and $0.20 per kWh off peak (9:30 PM - 8:30 AM).
- Rates are designed to simply cover the City’s cost to operate the chargers.
- Costs include electricity, maintenance as well as ChargePoint network subscription and processing fees.
Electric Vehicle Initiatives
- To accelerate broader adoption our Clean Air Vehicle Program allows residents or dealer bought plug-in vehicles to park in selected City parking garages, City parks, and at on-street parking meters, for free.
- Additionally the City’s Planning, Building, and Code Enforcement Department implemented a streamlined residential permitting process to facilitate the installation of home charging systems.
- The City is also the beneficiary of a California Energy Commission grant that will provide for the purchase of three all-electric vehicles at a price comparable to conventional vehicles of the same type.